Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Crawling before Walking

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

You must learn to crawl before you walk....I love retouching but I love Photoshop and all it has to offer....If i didn't understand the tools that photoshop had to offer....Retouching or any Graphic Design would be a lot harder.

Learn it...Understand it.....and you will become better at your craft each day.

Learn to critique yourself
Finding your own mistakes helps you not make the same ones in the future.

And for the trolls or so called wanabe wizards..... ignore an over critical person....If it was perfect they would still have a list of problems

In conclusion ......I luv helping people make their images better...by sharing and learning...

Contact me on Facebook at [email protected]
or
Flickr at Retouch Mayhem (Group) Please feel free to join and add your 2 cents and pics

Jun 29 10 11:18 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

so are you crawling, walking, running, flying or dematerialized? big_smile

Jun 30 10 01:28 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Koray wrote:
so are you crawling, walking, running, flying or dematerialized? big_smile

I'm going with Energized! Beam me up Scotty! lol

Jun 30 10 01:38 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS wrote:
whatever

You sound like some big woman blowing their own trumpets.

Whats your point here? Have us stop critiquing images of others? Or join your group, post our images there and have you critique them?

Jun 30 10 01:38 am Link

Retoucher

R E T O U C H - MM

London, England, United Kingdom

so, as this is in the critique section, we can critique you, right?

Jun 30 10 01:51 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

StaceyMarie-Retouch wrote:
so, as this is in the critique section, we can critique you, right?

I dont think so since she is advising the readers to critique themselves smile

Jun 30 10 02:26 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

ignore an over critical person

If you follow that advice you will never succeed in this business (or any business while we are at it)

Never ignore criticism.
Grown on it.
Don't ever take it personally.

x

As for the rest... to each its own.

Jun 30 10 06:50 am Link

Retoucher

Eva Ubani

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I would never recommend ignoring criticism, that is just what helps you expand, learn and get better. I would however say that you need to grow thick skin to be able to take it.

Jun 30 10 09:45 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Eva Ubani wrote:
I would never recommend ignoring criticism, that is just what helps you expand, learn and get better. I would however say that you need to grow thick skin to be able to take it.

+1

Jun 30 10 09:48 am Link

Retoucher

Versiontwo Fine Art

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

thread fail

Jun 30 10 11:19 pm Link

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

This wasn't meant to be a battle......nor a big deal.....This is why I said learn to critique yourself...Everyone has there way of seeing how something should be done.

Take this thread for example...Simple advice turned into a personal attack....That's crazy

Jul 01 10 10:43 am Link

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

Ashish Arora wrote:

You sound like some big woman blowing their own trumpets.

Whats your point here? Have us stop critiquing images of others? Or join your group, post our images there and have you critique them?

No I'm not tooting my own horn....I was simply giving advice i was given in school...we have to tell our instructor what we think is good and what we think could have been better....before she gives us her critique......I have seen how it helped me do better in my compositions.....I don't claim to be good .....But i strive to do my best...The group i have is only meant to learn not hinder or to outdo or to profit...Just for the love of Photoshop.....

Jul 01 10 10:47 am Link

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

If you follow that advice you will never succeed in this business (or any business while we are at it)

Never ignore criticism.
Grown on it.

x

I didn't say ignore criticism ....I said ignore an over critical person....someone who always sees fault and no good...people who take good advice and turn it into bad....You know sort of like what you did

Jul 01 10 10:50 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

I didn't say ignore criticism ....I said ignore an over critical person....someone who always sees fault and no good...people who take good advice and turn it into bad....You know sort of like what you did

'Over critical' ppl are doing the major brands hiring/publishing.
Your choice.

Jul 01 10 11:01 am Link

Photographer

DARE Photography

New York, New York, US

This is directed at nobody in particular, but reading the thread brought it to mind:

There seems to be an insidious, and, unfortunately, growing, belief in our culture that criticism is a "bad" thing, that each work is as valid or as good as the next, and that we should be accepting of all and treat them all equally. In fact the term "criticism" has come to have a primarily negative connotation, meaning to put someone down, rather than the more basic meaning of evaluating the merits and faults of a particular work. I see as the root of this attitude the soft and fuzzy "self-esteem" rage that began in the 1980's and continues largely unchecked today. Aiding it is the trend towards "political-correctness" which began as a way of more sensitively identifying various groups, and has evolved into a hyper-sensitivity towards any language that someone else may find difficult. So, we've collectively shied away from honesty and discerning taste, and moved towards euphemisms and blanket acceptance.

And we have further confused the issue by not distinguishing what is GOOD from what we LIKE. The two are not always the same. I can admit to liking something very much, while knowing full well it is not a good example of its genre. I can truly enjoy drinking a cheap table wine and know that it isn't a high-quality wine. Conversely, I can know that a $500 bottle of Cos D'Estournel Bourdeaux is a fine example of the best of red wines, and I may not like the way it tastes. Some people like Brittney Spears and some like Mozart, but that doesn't mean they are equally good musicians or play equally good music. This is partly where the term "kitsch" comes from: creative products with mass appeal, but nothing particularly original or distinctive about them. Often, this mass appeal is perceived as vulgar (the original meaning of vulgar actually is "characteristic of, or belonging to the masses) and undesirable by those of "discerning taste." Today, unfortunately, this kind of attitude is seen as snobbish and elitist (in the past, the only people able to spend time, effort, and money on the arts and developing "taste" were the aristocracy and fabulously wealthy). To be sure, there is some truth to that, but we shouldn't throw out the baby with the bath-water.

The ability to be critical of ourselves and towards others' works, and to RECEIVE criticism is crucial to the survival of art. A true artist doesn't ignore criticism. A true artist listens to ALL criticism -- even what they deem to be incorrect and invalid -- sifts through it, and seeks to address the underlying issue that brought up the criticism in the first place. And, importantly, a true artist has the strength to withstand even the most withering criticism. Addressing criticism of one's work doesn't necessarily mean bending to it. Openness to criticism needs to be balanced by conviction and direction. Similarly, being critical, or rather, thinking critically, about others' works shapes our ideas about our own work, and is what defines the term "taste." To not think critically and use a critical mind and eye (or ear) when taking in an artwork is to abdicate one's responsibility as a viewer to form and have an opinion. It is an abdication of taste. Once that happens, there is nothing to distinguish art from a candy wrapper, as everything will be just as valid and important (or rather unimportant) as everything else.

MY advice to people, is BE critical. First and foremost of yourself. Set standards. Strive to reach them. Always find things that can be better. In order to truly do this, one has to be open, both to criticism and to others' works. And being open yet critical is how to grow as an artist.

Jul 01 10 11:26 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I was simply giving advice i was given in school...before she gives us her critique

This is not school, this is real life, 10000x different from the lessons that my teachers taught me.

Please keep them to your School. big_smile I have had my share.

I always followed my heart, and not "their advices". Not being rude, but most school teachers are good for only schools, leave school, forget them.

Jul 01 10 11:29 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

someone who always sees fault and no good...people who take good advice and turn it into bad....

Trust me, if I had not met such people, I wouldn't have been where I am today. I love them. And they know who they are when I write this.

The moment you are satisfied with your art, your hunger dies. Keep the fire burning.

You know sort of like what you did

You mean she is an over critical person?

someone who always sees fault and no good.

That makes me lol

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
'Over critical' ppl are doing the major brands hiring/publishing.

+1.

Jul 01 10 11:32 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

DARE Photography wrote:

Very thought provoking, thanks.

Jul 01 10 08:51 pm Link

Model

Sierra Sunshine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ni Anluain wrote:

I'm going with Energized! Beam me up Scotty! lol

lol

Jul 01 10 08:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

DARE Photography wrote:
MY advice to people, is BE critical. First and foremost of yourself. Set standards. Strive to reach them. Always find things that can be better. In order to truly do this, one has to be open, both to criticism and to others' works. And being open yet critical is how to grow as an artist.

I need to learn how to write like you smile

Thank you for those words.

Jul 02 10 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Never ignore criticism.
Grown on it.

x

I agree. Whenever I get a critique on the serious critique forum, I love it when someone nit picks and finds every flaw no matter how little it is. Sometimes it's stuff I already know but sometimes it's stuff I missed. If I wanted just nice comments on my photos, i would just beg for comments in a shout.

Jul 02 10 05:05 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

criticism in itself is almost useless. without some guidance on how to improve, it is just an insult from someone who is usually just opinionated.

Jul 02 10 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Steve Broadbent wrote:
criticism in itself is almost useless. without some guidance on how to improve, it is just an insult from someone who is usually just opinionated.

It depends. if the critique is "your lighting sucks" without any suggestions, yea it doesn't do much good. Now if someone says that a crack on the wall is a distraction, I don't think I would need a suggestion how to fix it if I agree.

Jul 02 10 06:15 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Jeff Fiore wrote:

It depends. if the critique is "your lighting sucks" without any suggestions, yea it doesn't do much good. Now if someone says that a crack on the wall is a distraction, I don't think I would need a suggestion how to fix it if I agree.

Exactly!

smile

Jul 02 10 10:20 am Link

Photographer

DARE Photography

New York, New York, US

Steve Broadbent wrote:

I have to disagree.
First of all, as viewers, consumers, etc, we can often see something or hear something we dislike but lack the expertise to know how to improve. Taste and technical knowledge are two separate things. I can see a bad actor or a bad movie, but that doesn't mean I necessarily have the expertise to offer a solution. Lack of expertise does not invalidate an opinion. As autonomous individuals, each of our opinions is as valid as the next person's. Perhaps not as informed, but still valid.

Secondly, even if one does have the expertise to offer guidance, I consider that to be secondary in some respects to the actual opinion. Everyone knows there are any number of ways to attack a given problem or achieve a particular result.  Ultimately, the artist has to decide on the correct way forward, and guidance can often be helpful, but it's the final impact on the viewer and the opinion of the viewer that matters most, regardless of the road the creator takes to get there.

Lastly, criticism isn't necessarily insulting, even though sometimes we may feel insulted. And being "merely opinionated" is not a bad thing. When it comes to art, which is inherently subjective, our opinions are all we have. If we start ignoring or disrespecting one's right to have an opinion, then you pretty much negate the whole reason for art in the first place.

There's a story I have that I think is salient. When I was going through my vocal training in college, we had a class where we performed in front of our instructor and classmates, then received positive as well as constructive criticism from the class and instructor. A great way to toughen oneself up, I might add. On one occasion our instructor was ill and didn't show up, but we went ahead and performed for each other anyway. I got up, sang my piece, and nobody had anything to say. I pressed them for feedback. Nothing. Finally, a classmate and friend said "we all think you're really good and kind of look up to you, so we feel a bit unqualified to offer any criticism." This actually kind of upset me. I shot back something to the effect of "that's total nonsense. You all hear just fine. And you all think and feel just fine. So you all have opinions. And your opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. Regardless of whether I agree or not with your opinion or any technical comments you have, I still have to contend with the fact that I did something that made you feel the way you do, and that's important." So, I sang the piece again and forced them to comment. And they had some insightful feedback. It was MY job as the artist to figure out how to address what they mentioned. Opinions matter.

Jul 02 10 10:42 am Link

Photographer

DARE Photography

New York, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

I need to learn how to write like you smile

Thank you for those words.

You're welcome and thanks for the compliment.

Jul 02 10 10:46 am Link

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

Ashish Arora wrote:

This is not school, this is real life, 10000x different from the lessons that my teachers taught me.

Please keep them to your School. big_smile I have had my share.

I always followed my heart, and not "their advices". Not being rude, but most school teachers are good for only schools, leave school, forget them.

As i recall and this is probably just something I'm coming up with of the top of my head but I had to go to school for 13 years of my adolescence life to prepare for the world....If you want a degree you go to school to prepare for that job.....And what you learn in school you apply to real life......

Creativity isn't something your taught you take what you know and refine it to make it better
...What do you think this site is for.....Everyone here feeds off each other...Some are beginners some are professionals....but I don't care what level your at there is always something to be learned.

Jul 02 10 04:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Creativity isn't something your taught you take what you know and refine it to make it better

Exactly. That was my point, and if you don't have it, you develop it, and how? By inviting critiques, really harsh ones so you train your eye and your brain. smile

Everyone here feeds off each other...Some are beginners some are professionals....but I don't care what level your at there is always something to be learned.

Same here, but there is always something to be learned. glad you wrote that, totally agree with you. You too can teach me something, I am sure about that, cos I am not a sea of knowledge, nobody is; but your approach was a tad rude, just nagged you so you know about that. lol lol

Please always have others critic your work, I will tell you, there's no limit to perfection.

Jul 02 10 09:00 pm Link

Digital Artist

Marios Art

Barranquilla, Atlántico, Colombia

You must learn to crawl before you walk....

Agree

Jul 09 10 09:34 am Link