Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Serious Critiques Please

Retoucher

Ionic Images

Butler, Georgia, US

Hi Guys, Im always up for a good Critique. A person can never have too much good advice, So with that being said i would like for you to view my port and give some serious Critiques. Also If you want to get a better idea of how the image progressed you can visit my website www.ionicimages.com there you will be able to see before & after images.

I want to be the best at my craft, so I am willing hear from everyone.

-Thanks in Advance

Jun 27 10 04:20 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

I think you need to work on the following.....lighting, purpose, retouching, focus, perspective.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100604/21/4c09d646a8102_m.jpg

First, we'll talk about the above image.  There are a few golden rules for digital manipulation.  One of them is to NEVER use the "transform" tool to distort an entire image of a person.  It messes up...well everything.  The entire shape of the person is unnatural, and it's completely obvious why.  it looks like you tried to make her more narrow by simply squishing the image.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100614/10/4c166c776ebae_m.jpg

Next is lighting.  This picture makes no sense at all.  The lighting on the girl is entirely different than the background.  You need to find a way to fake the lighting more effectively, or try an entirely different background.

Also....what is it's purpose?  Maybe this is nit-picking....but the "Story" of this image confuses me.  Is she waiting for something?  She has luggage...and she's sitting on her luggage....waiting......but.....why is she sitting parallel to a perfectly good sitting bench?  Why is she sitting on her luggage, literally while she's inches away from a bench and facing right at it?  The concept doesn't make any sense to me.  it's just a cut and paste image.

Jun 27 10 05:41 am Link

Retoucher

Ionic Images

Butler, Georgia, US

This Is why I love Critiques!!!

Ok Any Tips On What I Should Do Different...I Agree With you Totally On The Park Scene...I was Thinking Maybe I Should have used The Bench.

Jun 27 10 09:56 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Trancedelic Retouching wrote:
I think you need to work on the following.....lighting, purpose, retouching, focus, perspective.

Your actual compositions of the pics are very good but there are the issues Trancedelic has said.

See manipulating/compositing is just not sticking a model in a/another background. A lot of work goes into making them whether ye want it real looking, surreal, fantasy etc.

When starting get a "theme" in your head that will help with the story. Ever hear the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words?" Well thats my motto and I try and get every pic to tell its own one. Some work - some don't *shrug*

So you have your model you must look at them and say: Wheres the light from? Whats the perspective? What do I want her doing? Whats my color scheme? Whats the story?

Then its background search time and it must MATCH the model. Its a pain in the whatsy trying to match a off background.

Grand now have model and background. Extract model and place, blend in tones, and ground the model. Grounding is one of the biggest tells for new manipers as its neglected. The blending on the body can be fantastic but they leave this FOOT STICK OUT AT YA LIKE THIS BOLD TYPE! or this one in yer port:
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100525/10/4bfc0556cb4bb_m.jpg

NEVER cut off body parts or zee lovely shoes :-o That shoe client is very upset that you cut their shoes out! Savvy? tongue

Jun 28 10 12:31 am Link

Retoucher

Ionic Images

Butler, Georgia, US

Once again thanks for the advice!!!

Jun 28 10 07:51 am Link