Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Texture and Make-Up Edit?

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi there!  Okie doke....so I could use some critique on this new edit I just did.  Every time I THINK I've done a good job on something... that means it's time for some critique, because I'm most certainly missing something.  You pro's out there can knock some sense into me if I've done anything wrong. XD

The main purpose of this edit was to simply clean up the texture and even out the tone.  So yes....critiques please?  Here are the before and afters....

BEFORE:
https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/Rose_Woman2783/aft.png

AFTER:
https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/Rose_Woman2783/bfr.png

Model: Michael Freeby
Photographer: Adam Rowell

Jun 23 10 09:09 pm Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

i think you did a great job on the skin. depending if you wanted the colorsheme to be more uniform i would swap the warm brown in his eyes with a cool one. 
additionally i would maybe remove the hair on his left chin. not so sure if that improves the overall picture leaving it there.
but looks altogether pretty good to me wink

[edit]
after having a second glance at his nose - i think that could be reshaped to something more pleasing. but thats personal taste wink

Jun 23 10 10:15 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

forehead is too smooth and looks more bumpy then it did before...overall its a bit too smooth like blurred smooth big_smile

Jun 23 10 11:22 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Sebastian Reuter wrote:
i think you did a great job on the skin. depending if you wanted the colorsheme to be more uniform i would swap the warm brown in his eyes with a cool one. 
additionally i would maybe remove the hair on his left chin. not so sure if that improves the overall picture leaving it there.
but looks altogether pretty good to me wink

[edit]
after having a second glance at his nose - i think that could be reshaped to something more pleasing. but thats personal taste wink

Thanks!  I don't want the picture to be monotone, so I'll be leaving the bits of warm color like in the eyes and under the nose and mouth.

Agreed about the hair.  At least that one lone hair sticking the most out. XD  The hair is quite wild in this picture, so I don't want it too be completely clean...I'm going to have to be more choosey with which strays I toss and keep. big_smile

Omg, his nose is beautiful! X3 I don't want to change his facial structure at all; it's just perfect.  Heehee, agreed...just a matter of taste.

Jun 23 10 11:22 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Koray wrote:
forehead is too smooth and looks more bumpy then it did before...overall its a bit too smooth like blurred smooth big_smile

Darn.  Well I didn't use any type of blur at all.  It's all D&B and some minimal healing and cloning. big_smile 

I agree about the forehead....something is off.....I'm getting confused with what though.  Texture or tone?  They're probably both off. XD  I'll have to come back to this in the morning with a fresh eye, otherwise I'll just make it worse, haha.

Jun 23 10 11:25 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Its the tone...V shape the light makes on the forehead. I would mess it back up if I were you else it will look even worse when viewed smaller like as an avatar smile

Jun 23 10 11:40 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Trancedelic Retouching wrote:
The main purpose of this edit was to simply clean up the texture and even out the tone.

I think you did a great job at that.
It's an abstract piece to begin with, so you should have a lot of leeway in your retouching.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 24 10 05:04 am Link

Retoucher

Teodor Sirbu

Iaşi, Iaşi, Romania

you did a great job on the skin but why you didn't removed the flyaways ; they are distracting me

Jun 24 10 05:24 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

SirbuT wrote:
you did a great job on the skin but why you didn't removed the flyaways ; they are distracting me

Thanks.  His hair is quite wild and messy ((on purpose)) in the zoomed out version....it's the reason why I didn't touch the stray hairs.  But I agree, some could be removed...I think the only one I'll do is the one closest to his mouth. smile

Jun 24 10 11:39 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Koray wrote:
Its the tone...V shape the light makes on the forehead. I would mess it back up if I were you else it will look even worse when viewed smaller like as an avatar smile

Thanks.  I think what bothers me is I've messed up the surface in terms of anatomical structure.  It's too flat, where due to such a furrowed brow, there should be some indication of that.....which I accidentally flattened in my attempt to even the tone. XD  I'll have to rethink this if I redo that part. wink

Jun 24 10 11:42 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

I think you did a great job at that.
It's an abstract piece to begin with, so you should have a lot of leeway in your retouching.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks ^_^

Jun 24 10 11:44 am Link