Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > model learning photoshop

Model

Jessica A Hoffman

Delray Beach, Florida, US

Hi everyone and thanks for reading... I KNOW you get upset (at least some of you?) when a model makes an attempt to edit photos, you were nice enough to give... with that being said, part of what I do for a living, is build websites, e-marketing, IT work, etc. and I grew up in the newspaper business. (I learned editing on pagemaker, long before photoshop came around!)
I guess I just can't help myself- I have to at least TRY... So I have been learning. Mostly the basics, but probably more than the average person... I NEED decent head shots in my port. It's the one thing (ok, maybe I need a few more things, too) that's missing. Last night, I cropped and edited a photo I thought would make a nice one. I am ok with constructive criticism and really would appreciate any feedback. I am aware it's not perfect- but overall, is it good enough to post?? I set it as my new avatar, so feel free to have a look! I posted it only for this purpose and if the overall feedback is negative, it's coming down!!!! smile Thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond. I really do appreciate it.
Jessica

Jun 16 10 06:46 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Perhaps it would be more useful for "constructive criticism" to post before/after on this thread. Reverse engineering is the best way to learn and for us to give you better input. This will also allow you to post in stages and progress more efficiently.

From what I have seen on your avatar right now, is that the image is in dire need of some contrast. It seems flat. There are no real shadows or highlights, only variations of midtones. The images could really benefit from some contrast boost. You can use Curves or levels. Levels are easy and more than enough for the job. You also need to add some sharpening, in the eyes mostly. They are the ones that need to stand out. But don't over do it, or it will look fake.

The last thing; is the work of clone tool on the left cheek. If you have indeed used the clone tool, I would suggest healing brush instead. Much better for that kind of work. Also there are some wrinkled skin on the neck, that you could do without.

Just my two cents.

Jun 16 10 07:17 am Link

Model

Jessica A Hoffman

Thank you!!! Will go back and try again! Very much appreciated!!

Jun 16 10 09:10 am Link

Model

Jessica A Hoffman

Ok- tried again!! I am not sure how to post the before and after- But I played around with it (for hours)... It's probably overkill- but I figured I would see what you think!
Thanks!

Jun 16 10 12:35 pm Link

Model

Jessica A Hoffman

oh well- I tried to post the before... all I can do is post the image address-http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs557.snc3/30466_400695796159_610781159_4783799_6383498_n.jpg

Jun 16 10 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jessica A Hoffman wrote:
oh well- I tried to post the before... all I can do is post the image address-http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs557.snc3/30466_400695796159_610781159_4783799_6383498_n.jpg

https://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs557.snc3/30466_400695796159_610781159_4783799_6383498_n.jpg

Jun 16 10 12:51 pm Link

Model

Jessica A Hoffman

wow! Thanks!! So now you can see before and after! ha- Should I hurry and take it down?? The more I look the more horrible I think it is!

Jun 16 10 01:15 pm Link