Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > D&B beauty retouch (4 hours)

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

I'd appreciate some critique on this beauty retouch. I spent so much time on it that I think I've lost perspective. What would you have done differently? Do you think the time I spent on it was justified, or do you think my workflow is inefficient?

https://a7.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f01347f0353c7860b-pi
The "before" is my raw conversion/crop. Here is with default settings:
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/kellyealy/DSC_0323.jpg
Image courtesy of Kelly E #7866

Jun 14 10 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

Long Beach, California, US

Well donee!

Jun 14 10 11:15 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Overall very nice job. Technically wise, everything looks spot on. My compliments.

A few thing that bother me, though. Why did you change the hair and the necklace from yellow/gold to orange? They where there to separate the monotony of the red color of the skin. I liked that. Speaking of skin. all that red, is way to distracting for me. Less saturation would be my approach. As it is, all that saturation is taking over the shape and texture of the model. Use selective color adjustment and in reds add quite a bit of cyan to counter that overwhelming red, a touch of yellow and you are ready to go.

Jun 15 10 12:01 am Link

Model

-NNY-

Sacramento, California, US

Not being a retoucher... I think you did a wonderful job.

Jun 15 10 12:04 am Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

i think you did a nice job on the skin. the colors look quite saturated to me, but i guess thats a common problem when viewing images on the web on a wide gammut monitor under mac osx -_- so i cant really tell if this is due to too much red in the actual image or due osx showing all the images in my monitor profile.

since you already cropped the image i guess this comes too late, but i feel like the proportions of the crop dont really suit the image. it feels kinda crowded like this, at least in my opinion.

Jun 15 10 12:07 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Sebastian Reuter wrote:
i think you did a nice job on the skin. the colors look quite saturated to me, but i guess thats a common problem when viewing images on the web on a wide gammut monitor under mac osx.

I have the same problem on windows, but here is a solution for the web. Firefox has color management plug in. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891/. Set it to effect all images on the web, not just tagged ones. Warning! This only works with HTML based sites, FLASH it a different matter. It must have CM enabled by the developer or you will see supersaturated color on all Flash content. Safari should have the CM also, but it uses different rendering engine for color. I trust Firefox, more.

Jun 15 10 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i'd crop in much tighter, and make it straight - and if any of the bleached hair was still showing, i'd make it black.

Jun 15 10 12:28 am Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

I have the same problem on windows, but here is a solution for the web. Firefox has color management plug in. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891/. Set it to effect all images on the web, not just tagged ones. Warning! This only works with HTML based sites, FLASH it a different matter. It must have CM enabled by the developer or you will see supersaturated color on all Flash content. Safari should have the CM also, but it uses different rendering engine for color. I trust Firefox, more.

thanks a lot smile going to see if it works for mac osx

Jun 15 10 12:54 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Looks great!  I agree....about it looks over saturated.  It has a pretty strong red/magenta hue to it.  But overall I love it! 

Also....I see nothing wrong with the crop OR the bleached hair?  Well, maybe the crop...zooming out a bit might be good...and then just clone her top out if needed.  I don't consider those "problems" in this photo and changing them would alter the style/intent of the image.  Not everything has to be perfectly symmetrical all the time. smile

Jun 15 10 01:09 am Link

Retoucher

R E T O U C H - MM

London, England, United Kingdom

The skins nice, now i think you should change the tones and reds in the photo, and maybe a little more contoured look on the nose smile x

Jun 15 10 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

Her hair looks very flat....

Jun 15 10 02:56 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
Overall very nice job. Technically wise, everything looks spot on. My compliments.

A few thing that bother me, though. Why did you change the hair and the necklace from yellow/gold to orange? They where there to separate the monotony of the red color of the skin. I liked that. Speaking of skin. all that red, is way to distracting for me. Less saturation would be my approach. As it is, all that saturation is taking over the shape and texture of the model. Use selective color adjustment and in reds add quite a bit of cyan to counter that overwhelming red, a touch of yellow and you are ready to go.

+1

but I'd do it more in the hair than the skin, like 90% on the hair -- 50% on the skin.

But GREAT WORK

xx

Jun 15 10 04:43 am Link

Photographer

toan thai photography

Montgomery Village, Maryland, US

nice skin work. question: why did you remove the highlight on her upper right lip? that is part of her lip. now the right side looks thinner than the left side.

Jun 15 10 07:57 am Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

its a subjective thing your asking. everyone has different tastes and thoughts

if your happy with it thats all that matters

if youve lost your self in working with this image turn you computer off go for a coffee, run walk, or just wait till tomrw and relook at what youve done.

best wishes

paul

Jun 15 10 08:01 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

SoCo n Lime wrote:
if your happy with it thats all that matters

If you're doing it for artistic reasons with no income in mind, you're right.

In ANY OTHER scenario, you're wrong. Ignorance is bliss comes to mind.

You can be happy with your work because you don't know any better.

If you put it up for critique, then you can hear/read what other ppl (experienced or not, talented or not, successful or not) have to say about it and then evaluate your work again.

Specifically talking about retouching (commercial retouching) Just because it looks better doesn't mean it looks good and in an industry with such high standards you better stay on top of the line if you want to do this for a living.

just my 2 cents

x

Jun 15 10 08:51 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Wow, that was so much more feedback than I was expecting. Usually this board moves pretty slowly. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share you opinions with me. It really helps!

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

Originally I thought the yellow of her hair necklace and the reds in her skin didn't look pleasing together, but now I see why the photographer/stylist chose that particular setup. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Also thanks for bringing the over-saturated reds to my attention. I'll make the changes then post an update later tonight.

Sebastian Reuter wrote:
i think you did a nice job on the skin. the colors look quite saturated to me, but i guess thats a common problem when viewing images on the web on a wide gammut monitor under mac osx -_- so i cant really tell if this is due to too much red in the actual image or due osx showing all the images in my monitor profile.

since you already cropped the image i guess this comes too late, but i feel like the proportions of the crop dont really suit the image. it feels kinda crowded like this, at least in my opinion.

Appreciate the feedback.

dave wright phx wrote:
i'd crop in much tighter, and make it straight - and if any of the bleached hair was still showing, i'd make it black.

Interesting suggestion, thanks.

Trancedelic Retouching wrote:
Looks great!  I agree....about it looks over saturated.  It has a pretty strong red/magenta hue to it.  But overall I love it! 

Also....I see nothing wrong with the crop OR the bleached hair?  Well, maybe the crop...zooming out a bit might be good...and then just clone her top out if needed.  I don't consider those "problems" in this photo and changing them would alter the style/intent of the image.  Not everything has to be perfectly symmetrical all the time. smile

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

StaceyMarie-Retouch wrote:
The skins nice, now i think you should change the tones and reds in the photo, and maybe a little more contoured look on the nose smile x

Hmm, I'll consider more nose contouring. Thanks.

toan thai photography wrote:
nice skin work. question: why did you remove the highlight on her upper right lip? that is part of her lip. now the right side looks thinner than the left side.

Nice catch - I'll add that back in.

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
but I'd do it more in the hair than the skin, like 90% on the hair -- 50% on the skin.

Thanks, I will!

Jun 15 10 03:47 pm Link