Retoucher

Carl Davis Retouch

Telford, England, United Kingdom

Just recently created this portfolio to show some of my retouch work.
Comments welcome.

Thanks
Carl

Jun 13 10 01:41 pm Link

Retoucher

IdontKnowIForgot

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

will take a look, although I'm in no place to critique smile

Jun 13 10 02:01 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

All looks pretty good!  The first two in your port are my least favorites though.  They're very subtle, at least the second one is.  I think they could be taken further.

Jun 13 10 03:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Aaron Speer

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

It looks like your compositing skills (which are quite impressive!) are quite a bit better than your "retouch" skills (skin, hair, etc.). However with a little more work I think you could have a pretty nice port! Keep it up!

Jun 17 10 09:07 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Aaron Speer wrote:
It looks like your compositing skills (which are quite impressive!) are quite a bit better than your "retouch" skills (skin, hair, etc.). However with a little more work I think you could have a pretty nice port! Keep it up!

Yeah, composting is your straight. You should make that your specialty.
Your composite work is quite dark, that makes it limited to posters and portfolio work.
If you want to take it up a notch, do more work like http://www.taylorjames.com/cgi-retouching/index.php for your portfolio. They have big budget, and I'm not expecting that you do the same quality work. But that is where would your 3D background and retouching/composting skills be most marketable. Also you will notice that their work is not as dark or Gothic. But if that is your passion, by all means - roll with it.

P.S.
I took Taylor James as an example, because they are the most famous and have very impressive showcase. But there are numerous examples of people who advertise themselfs as photographers, not studios. And they do amazing composting work.
I have a collection (I'm sure you do too) of examples, but my bookmarks are on my other machine.

Jun 17 10 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Indigo Dream Images

Tucson, Arizona, US

Nice ones here...#'s 1, 3, 4, 5, 6

Actually, there all nice, but these are by far my favorite.  #3 is superb as is #4.  Great job smile

Jun 17 10 10:48 am Link

Retoucher

Carl Davis Retouch

Telford, England, United Kingdom

thanks for all the feedback, could anyone be more specific about what lets me retouching down a bit? any pointers would be greatly appreicated.

I will have a look at doing some brighter more fun composites.

Thanks again for the comments.

Carl

Jun 18 10 01:05 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
If you want to take it up a notch, do more work like http://www.taylorjames.com/cgi-retouching/index.php for your portfolio. They have big budget, and I'm not expecting that you do the same quality work. But that is where would your 3D background and retouching/composting skills be most marketable.

This. +1

Carl Davis Retouch wrote:
any pointers would be greatly appreicated.

How about going for some compositing lessons? I've heard they sell some nice DVDs on Lynda or Kelby, maybe someone will post about this part.

Also, you should expand your beauty and hair retouch skills, they will help you achieve neater/better looking results.

Jun 18 10 02:17 am Link