Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Stop, keep going, or went too far?

Photographer

N L P

Los Angeles, California, US

Appreciate any advice for how to improve. Thanks.

https://fullstopfoto.com/misc_pics/IMG_3490%20B&A-2.jpg

Jun 09 10 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Indigo Dream Images

Tucson, Arizona, US

Looks good...just blend a little more under her right eye. smile

Jun 09 10 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

N L P

Indigo Dream Images wrote:
Looks good...just blend a little more under her right eye. smile

Ugh, how could I not see that? Thank you!

Jun 09 10 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

Went too far

There isn't any skin texture left....

Jun 09 10 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Narciscus Studio

Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Craig Allen Studio wrote:
Went too far

There isn't any skin texture left....

+1
Consider also (on a curves adjustment layer) dodging the iris's a little, to bring out the retina's. The catchlights are already there.
Id clone / heal out the long fly-away's on the left.

Jun 09 10 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

N L P

Narciscus Studio wrote:

+1
Consider also (on a curves adjustment layer) dodging the iris's a little, to bring out the retina's. The catchlights are already there.
Id clone / heal out the long fly-away's on the left.

Thanks, will try and bring back some texture. Good advice on the eyes and hair too.

Jun 09 10 11:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Full Stop Photography wrote:

Thanks, will try and bring back some texture. Good advice on the eyes and hair too.

Actually you should try not to lose it in the first place.

x

Jun 10 10 09:24 am Link

Photographer

24 Seven Photography

Webster, New York, US

i think it looks pretty good to me but I think you went a bit overboard on her forehead. it looks kinda flat. also, it seems too blurry around her hairline. lower face looks pretty good, if you could just get a little more texture out it would def enhance it.

PS - i find it funny how someone says you went too far and theres no texture left and then you look at his portfolio and most of his recent shots have the same problem. people are funny

Jun 10 10 10:56 am Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

24 Seven Photography wrote:
i think it looks pretty good to me but I think you went a bit overboard on her forehead. it looks kinda flat. also, it seems too blurry around her hairline. lower face looks pretty good, if you could just get a little more texture out it would def enhance it.

PS - i find it funny how someone says you went too far and theres no texture left and then you look at his portfolio and most of his recent shots have the same problem. people are funny

Maybe your new to the forums but attacking what others say/post in the forums is frowned upon.

If your referring to my post (Craig Allen Studio) I can only tell you that I do not soften or blur the skin other then blemish removal via healing brush.

I think what your seeing might just be how I lit the models. I try to front light whenever possible and not side light which would increase the skin texture or amplify any imperfections.

Here are a few enlarged samples of the second model in my Craig Allen Studio profile from above.

All images shot with Canon 30D & Tamron 28-75/2.8

https://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/144/7/3/736078be88191d8929115294c5ad0bfe.jpghttps://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/144/8/a/8aeb3adc49da41e3e6a8689715c474ad.jpg
https://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/144/c/0/c0ca05f060ccbcb7cb9ba85c5caf9069.jpg
https://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/144/f/5/f5ebb8bdc94e074c028aed97e677b99f.jpg

Jun 10 10 11:13 am Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Actually you should try not to lose it in the first place.

x

Word!

Jun 10 10 11:22 am Link

Photographer

24 Seven Photography

Webster, New York, US

Im not attacking, I am stating the obvious. I see no real benefit to coming in here and says "Went too far There isn't any skin texture left...." when your photos don't suggest anything different.

If I were you I would try and word things more politely and you will probably get a lot more respect. Next time try...... "I think it looks a little overdone, maybe try and bring a little skin texture back". Your post sounded more like an attack.

I especially have little respect for someone when the very first thing you see in their profile is "some people truly have talent, others not so much".

I can only imagine what side of that fence "you think" that you fall on.

Jun 10 10 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael_S_Photography

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I say just right with the skin, cleaned up, still see texture, and pores.  Maybe something to the hair?  Could play with the eyes to see if they are as good as can be.  I like it, but what do I know?

Jun 10 10 11:31 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

killer pinups wrote:

Maybe your new to the forums but attacking what others say/post in the forums is frowned upon.

Maybe you should spend some more time on the forums. This IS a critique forum and 24 Seven Photography WAS critiqueing his work...not attacking it.

Jun 10 10 11:32 am Link

Retoucher

R E T O U C H - MM

London, England, United Kingdom

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Maybe you should spend some more time on the forums. This IS a critique forum and 24 Seven Photography WAS critiqueing his work...not attacking it.

KillerPinups was reffering to the comment
"

whereas that person who said there is no texture left in the image, did not ask for a personal critique on his own portfolio

Jun 10 10 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

24 Seven Photography

Webster, New York, US

StaceyMarie-Retouch wrote:
whereas that person who said there is no texture left in the image, did not ask for a personal critique on his own portfolio

if your not open to receiving critiques then you don't appreciate the true purpose of this site.

if you can dish out a blatant negative comment (that hardly passes for a critique) but can't take it then you shouldn't be posting in the "critique" section to begin with.

I didn't attack him, I stated that it is my belief that his photos share the same problem that he is claiming is wrong with the OP photos and I find that to be funny and somewhat ironic.

i get the sense that he sees it as a competition (after attempting to defend his "amazing work" and show off his high-res photos to prove what an awesome job "he believes" he has done) instead of a place to help others progress ( others who didn't happen to spend their entire childhood locked in their parents basement playing with photoshop to pass their time).

sorry, but im just so sick of seeing people come on here and say that a photo is WAY overdone and that this is wrong and that is wrong without giving any helpful suggestions on how to make it better

This forum is not a venue to bash retouching. If you are to be critical of work, you are fully expected to be constructive and offer advice and or reasoning for your critique.  It’s not that hard. (See the example thread cited earlier.) If that isn't clear, feel free to ask questions before you critique something not open for critique.

Jun 10 10 02:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

This.

24 seven, you were out of place.
This is the critique forum, the OP asked a question and got a straight answer: too far, no texture left.

Jun 10 10 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

24 Seven Photography

Webster, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
This.

24 seven, you were out of place.
This is the critique forum, the OP asked a question and got a straight answer: too far, no texture left.

No, I definitely disagree and have explained quite clearly why he was out of line. If you want to continue this debate why don't you start a thread in the appropriate section. Definitely the wrong thread for this discussion.

I said what needed to be said and this thread needs to get back on topic......

Jun 10 10 04:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

No, I definitely disagree and have explained quite clearly why he was out of line. If you want to continue this debate why don't you start a thread in the appropriate section. Definitely the wrong thread for this discussion.

I said what needed to be said and this thread needs to get back on topic......

This is not a thread worthy discussion. He gave an answer to the question of the thread you gave an unsolicited critique. You did something against the rules, he didn't.
End of "discussion"

/end of hijack wink

x

Jun 10 10 04:46 pm Link

Retoucher

NickWatson

Hey,

The image looks like a blur filter has been used over the skin with masking. There are a lot of uneven skin tones in the face.

Try the image again and try purely dodge and burn and also try using a b/w adjustment layer over the top with the reds and yellows pulled down quite far, then you can see what you need to even up and no loss of texture!!!

Hope this helps.

Nick

Jun 10 10 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

N L P

NW-RETOUCHING wrote:
Hey,

The image looks like a blur filter has been used over the skin with masking. There are a lot of uneven skin tones in the face.

When you say uneven, do you mean specifically a mix of light and dark areas?

Try the image again and try purely dodge and burn and also try using a b/w adjustment layer over the top with the reds and yellows pulled down quite far, then you can see what you need to even up and no loss of texture!!!

Hope this helps.

Nick

Never used this technique before. So I applied a B&W adjustment layer, pulled reds and yellows down, and see essentially what looks like a suntanned face with lots of light and dark, but have no idea what to do next. Start dodging and burning on the background layer using the B/W adjustment layer as a guide? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere? Thanks.

Jun 10 10 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Full Stop Photography wrote:
Never used this technique before. So I applied a B&W adjustment layer, pulled reds and yellows down, and see essentially what looks like a suntanned face with lots of light and dark, but have no idea what to do next. Start dodging and burning on the background layer using the B/W adjustment layer as a guide? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere? Thanks.

Yes! big_smile These are the tutorials that got me into D&B.

1.) http://everythingsmagic.deviantart.com/ … 467&qo=104

2.) http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art/Do … 467&qo=105

Jun 10 10 10:24 pm Link

Retoucher

R E T O U C H - MM

if your not open to receiving critiques then you don't appreciate the true purpose of this site.

if you can dish out a blatant negative comment (that hardly passes for a critique) but can't take it then you shouldn't be posting in the "critique" section to begin with.

I didn't attack him, I stated that it is my belief that his photos share the same problem that he is claiming is wrong with the OP photos and I find that to be funny and somewhat ironic.

i get the sense that he sees it as a competition (after attempting to defend his "amazing work" and show off his high-res photos to prove what an awesome job "he believes" he has done) instead of a place to help others progress ( others who didn't happen to spend their entire childhood locked in their parents basement playing with photoshop to pass their time).

sorry, but im just so sick of seeing people come on here and say that a photo is WAY overdone and that this is wrong and that is wrong without giving any helpful suggestions on how to make it better

your obviously new, It doesn't matter what your opinions are, your comment is against the rules of the site, you aren't allowed to critique someone who is giving a crique to someone else, nomatter what their port is like,
you don't need to be a hair stylist to know what looks good..
his comment was right, there is no texture left, that is a straight forward critique which the OP would benefit from hearing. If he was wrong, then say why you think he was wrong, you don't jump to his profile to critique him because you got offended by him being straight forward in a critique forum.

Jun 11 10 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

holy crap, more yelling at each other again . . .

Jun 11 10 01:48 am Link

Photographer

24 Seven Photography

Webster, New York, US

your obviously new, It doesn't matter what your opinions are, your comment is against the rules of the site, you aren't allowed to critique someone who is giving a crique to someone else, nomatter what their port is like,
you don't need to be a hair stylist to know what looks good..
his comment was right, there is no texture left, that is a straight forward critique which the OP would benefit from hearing. If he was wrong, then say why you think he was wrong, you don't jump to his profile to critique him because you got offended by him being straight forward in a critique forum.

your starting to sounds pretty new yourself if your still continuing off topic. its been determined that it's quite obvious this is not the place for this discussion....

Jun 11 10 01:54 am Link

Retoucher

R E T O U C H - MM

Okay end, i didn't see the comment from a mod, smile I just replied to my quote.

Jun 11 10 01:57 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

your starting to sounds pretty new yourself if your still continuing off topic. its been determined that it's quite obvious this is not the place for this discussion....

Actually... you (and only you) determined that... no mod said anything and since you went all "preachy"(even when you're blatantly wrong) in THIS thread then you are calling to be corrected on THIS thread.  At least until a mod thinks this has gone too far...

To throw the rock and hide the hand it's just silly tho...

x

Jun 11 10 04:09 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

Moderator Warning!
Please stay on topic and do not give out unsolicited critiques.
Thank you.

Jun 11 10 04:16 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

S de Varax wrote:
Please stay on topic and do not give out unsolicited critiques.
Thank you.

lol thanks

Now this covers both. Smart mod big_smile

Jun 11 10 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

@Full stop photography, there is more work involved in saving this sample image there the end result would warrant.

My suggestion would be to use this post as a learning experience and go back into the studio to re create this image under different conditions so you're left trying to fix less or close to nothing from the start.

I do hope I'm not too far off track with this and that you'll be open enough to understand where I'm going with this thought.

As it stands the image has some flaws in lighting and composition. Fix those before you get to the editing and your life will be easier.

Craig

Craig Thomson
Craig Allen Studio
Killer Pinups

Jun 11 10 12:19 pm Link