Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > First try at retouching!

Retoucher

SO_Retouch

London, England, United Kingdom

And D&B ( clearly need tons more practice on that one)  , ANNNND working on an actual picture.

Nowhere near finished though , just thought I'd show what I'm on so far and see what people think.

https://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/Sandy_1987/Beforeafter.jpg

May 28 10 06:03 am Link

Retoucher

SO_Retouch

London, England, United Kingdom

This has made me more interested in product retouching as well though....

May 28 10 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think it rocks.  Keep inventing.

May 28 10 06:04 am Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

since this is a WIP I am not sure what the end result will look like. but since you are increasing the highlights in the face a lot you might end up getting a very plastic-like look. depending on what you are after that might / might not be what you want.

May 29 10 05:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I love the original way much better. Infact, I had to take a second to agree you retouched rightways and not leftways. big_smile

The whites are distracting, and too prominent, skin work is very bad, and you destroyed texture, some shadows and some natural shape of the model, whats that white spot near the armpit there for?

The wrinkles and imperfections are visible even now, and she still has hair on her arm.

Jun 02 10 02:34 pm Link

Retoucher

ringus

Wrocław, Dolnośląskie, Poland

This image doesn't need much D&B to start with. (Depending on what are you after of course) You shouldn't try to emphasize highlights so badly because it won't look natural.

You must be aware of what you want to do with D&B. Generally it is used to ger rid of the unwanted highlights/shadows to make skin look soft and smooth without blurring it. You can also use it to make skin looking plastic and 3D-like. There is much much more.

Here I used only some D&B and minor levels adjustements and sharpening.

https://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7395/beforeafter1.jpg

Of course I could commit much more time to make it much more smooth but that's not the point here.

I suggest you to look up nienna1990 tutorial on D&B.

Jun 03 10 10:03 am Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

workin on similar image smile the after, her skin looks kinda faint (pale).

Jun 03 10 12:30 pm Link