Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > --- help us police this section ---

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Serious Critiques is for the more formal full-portfolio, full album, or deeply critical multi-shot recent work critiques.

You can absolutely get a serious reply in General Feedback. Serious Critique is for feedback about craft and technique more than general creativity.

"Which image should be my avatar," "which are my best/worst," "what images should I delete to shrink my portfolio," "what color should my hair be next," etc. go in the main General Feedback section, not here.

If the main feedback section is "short attention span theater," this part is supposed to be the exact opposite.

This applies to responses as well as critique requests. If it's short and sweet, it needs to be deep. Simply pointing out best and worst is not a valid critique here, you need to be able to articulate why and how it can be fixed.

If you see problem threads, please use the CAM system to report them with the "forum issue" label here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod.php

Thank you for your help and cooperation.

edited to add:

We generally move any "what shots should I get rid of" or "critique me and I'll critique you in return" and "what do you think of this new shot" or "how should I start" threads to General Feedback.

Serious Critique having the word "serious" in its name does not at all intentionally imply that General Feedback is not a serious industry section.

May 05 10 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Question:

Should we be moving the "I've had three shoots. Should I keep modeling?" threads down to General Feedback as well? It seems like such a subjective thing, not really a teaching opportunity for the veterans.

May 06 10 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Wildkat Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Yes please!!  Either that or just an auto response of "If you are asking, the answer is probably no."

May 06 10 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Rob Gillespie

Bedford, England, United Kingdom

OMFG 7174 wrote:
Question:

Should we be moving the "I've had three shoots. Should I keep modeling?" threads down to General Feedback as well? It seems like such a subjective thing, not really a teaching opportunity for the veterans.

As that kind of post is usually just fishing for compliments, I'd say yes.
You could make this thread sticky so that people can refer back to it as well.

May 07 10 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Random Shutter Clicks

PORTER CORNERS, New York, US

OMFG 7174 wrote:
Question:

Yes - how is the cam load lately?  I have cammed these in the past and have had a very slow - days - response.

jim

May 07 10 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Rob Gillespie wrote:
As that kind of post is usually just fishing for compliments, I'd say yes.
You could make this thread sticky so that people can refer back to it as well.

This information is already in the sticky. We don't like having a lot of posts anchored, it makes it hard to read when there is too much clutter at the top, and I'm already thinking the Things We Keep Coming Back To thread should go at the top.

Jim Gupta-Carlson wrote:
Yes - how is the cam load lately?  I have cammed these in the past and have had a very slow - days - response.

jim

How we respond to CAMs is complicated. The best way to CAM something like this is to get right to the point.

The subject line we see on CAMs is generated from the first few characters in the message. Make sure you convey that you just need a post moved, like "Please move this to General Feedback, it's not a Serious Critique request: {url}."

The mods will see something like "Please move this to General Feedback, it's" as the subject and be able to fix it quickly.

May 07 10 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

May 12 10 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Pure Visions Photograph

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Question guys: I have made my own website for my photography and would love to get some feedback on how it comes across to the masses. As I have not read anywhere whether we can actually get feedback on things OTHER than photos in our port, our port process etc etc I have no idea whether I can actually do that.

So am I allowed to put up my website address and ask others what they think of the appearance and how I could improve it if needed to best get my images across?

Jun 02 10 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

The critique section is for career feedback. If your web site isn't helping you land jobs, then getting feedback on it is probably a good thing. No pay to view adult sites though, or links to your portfolios on other sites like MM.

Jul 12 10 08:42 am Link

Model

Maureen Hale

Springdale, Arkansas, US

I'm confused.  How is it that my work does not deserve a serious critique?  Who locked me down and why?  If I am to be critiqued in a different forum, why don't you be polite and direct me to that forum?  Why is it that my video from a boudoir shoot is not worthy of a serious critique?

Andrew Hale

Nov 22 10 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

Maureen Hale wrote:
I'm confused.  How is it that my work does not deserve a serious critique?  Who locked me down and why?  If I am to be critiqued in a different forum, why don't you be polite and direct me to that forum?  Why is it that my video from a boudoir shoot is not worthy of a serious critique?

Andrew Hale

You should probably CAM (https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod) this as you will most likely get a more accurate and faster answer.

Nov 22 10 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Yeah, CAM is the best way to get an answer to that sort of question. And it's important to include a link to the thread. I looked around but could not find the thread in question.

It's important to understand that you can absolutely get serious replies in General Feedback. This area is just more formal.

Serious Critique is more feedback about craft and technique than general creativity.

If you're asking more for creative or subjective feedback, generally the thread will be locked or moved. With newer users, the threads are more likely to be locked so they learn to read the rules before posting, and because they're less likely to know to look in General in case it was moved, and will often repost the same thing here just wondering where the first one went.

Nov 26 10 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Again, we generally move any "what shots should I get rid of" or "critique me and I'll critique you in return" threads to General Feedback.

Serious Critique having the word "serious" in its name does not at all intentionally imply that General Feedback is not a serious industry section.

Jan 13 11 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm adding "how should I start" threads to the group that get kicked back down to General Feedback. If you don't actually have a portfolio yet, we can't help you make decisions about what to change.

May 31 11 07:45 pm Link

Model

rachel nicole

Miami, Florida, US

I didn't even realize I was posting in this section. Can you please move my posts?

Feb 09 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

nolongerhere

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I don't see any General Feedback heading on the forums home page. Do you mean the overall critique folder rather than serious or fun and games?

Oct 28 14 01:02 am Link

Photographer

DELS VIEW PHOTOGRAPHY

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Good evening (or good morning!) the past few year I've been distracted with LIFE. And it has taken me away from what I truly love. PHOTOGRAPHY. Yes I shoot often but I want to make a living from what I love to do Fitness and/or editorial. I'm finally trying to use this awesome site seeing I'm paying for it! LOL From my peers I want your critique! I don't care whether you are blunt or opinionated. I AM HONESTLY LOOKING FOR OTHERS OUTLOOK. Thanks    -Del

Apr 02 19 10:56 pm Link