Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Pointers Anyone?

Photographer

Bret Sutton

Culpeper, Virginia, US

I was hoping I could have some people take a look at my portfolio, and give me any advice you would be willing to share.

I'm fairly new to photographing people (outside of sports or military action). I use both a Nikon D50 and a Canon 20D (still trying to figure out which camera I like better). I got both my cameras used and don't have users manuals. So I'm still learning how all the settings work, and doing so by trial and error.

Natural light is my friend. I don't have or use lighting equipment. I can’t afford an external flash at the moment, so I do what I can. I have tried cutting up a milk jug and holding the plastic in front of my cameras flash to soften it up. Still playing with that.

I also don't have Photoshop or anything like it, just used the basic Iphoto program on my Macbook to adjust overall contrast and color. So as much as that sucks, there is a reason why I haven’t spent the money. I'm trying to adjust my abilities. I don't want to become a "photoshop" or a "digital darkroom" Photographer.

With all this is mind any comments on things I need to work on would be great. Telling me what I'm doing right helps to.

Thank you for your time.

Bret

Jan 21 10 06:38 pm Link