Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > OK Pick my brain...

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

I'll try answering your questions about your port. May be good, may not so good. No pretention on my part, just an opinion and lots of feeling !

Reciprocity always appreciated ;-)

Go!

Jean

Jan 16 10 03:35 am Link

Model

Ania N

from first row, pick one image to delete from each set

Jan 16 10 05:57 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Ania N wrote:
from first row, pick one image to delete from each set

Ok If I understood correctly...

group #1: center shot
group #2: bottom shot
group #3: Lower right shot
group #4: bottom shot

You have a beautiful port ! Hard to take any out !!!

AU revoir

Jean

Jan 16 10 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

what are my weakest images?

Jan 19 10 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Is there a shot that just should not be in my portfolio?

Jan 19 10 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

DearestGrudge Studio wrote:
what are my weakest images?

Grudge !

First I'd like to pay respect to the quality of your work. It is creative as well as technicaly impeccable. Your choices are excellent in every way.

#3 Although the ambiance of the room is well rendered, the image does not convey anything we can focus our attention to making it weaker than the rest of your port.

#14 Interesting in concept but it did not receive the benefits of your great ability to make images unique therefore it stands out as weak in comparaison.

Have a great day !

Jean

Jan 20 10 03:49 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

edit: ok, nevermind! you critiqued me before. carry on.

Jan 20 10 03:58 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Sal W Hanna wrote:
Is there a shot that just should not be in my portfolio?

Sal...
In portraits, only # 1 and 2 have a reason to stay in order to maintain your standards

In nudity, #5 stands out as a snapshot with a vague concept

in alt, The crime scene is just another crime scene... The bloody eyes scene doesn't cut it. The lighting and angles should have been elaborated accordingly to make it work. But I LIKE the F***K LOVE it is strong.

in classics Leave guitars to guitarists, they became as common as angel wings wrapped-up in caution tape along the railroad tracks.

Elaborate your concepts with a more detailed approach. Finally I would suggest you put everything in a single page instead of albums until you have enough pics to fill the styles with strong images.

Have a great day !

Jean

Jan 20 10 04:03 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Mini_ wrote:
edit: ok, nevermind! you critiqued me before. carry on.

Mini, you have so many good pics.... and comments on your boobies album ! LOL

The whole package: #4 does not have the photographic quality than the rest of the album so it fades YOUR quality as a model

Face: #4 You don't feel much at ease with the "raison d'être" of the image.
#6 Is it supposed to be the Mona Lisa revisited ? The blur doesn't sell you very well.

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 04:13 am Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

What pics in my port should stay? ... which ones should go?  hmm

Jan 20 10 04:35 am Link

Model

Hayley Louise Moore

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

what do i need more of and what needs to go? How can i take my port to the next level?

Jan 20 10 08:10 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

KEKnight wrote:
What pics in my port should stay? ... which ones should go?  hmm

Knight... First: #17 is a great shot ! very well structured (architectural ;-))

#3 could be processed a bit better in luminosity
#13 is a bit low in contrast but you could probably save it after a few tweaks
# 11 is iffy....

Overall I would not take anything out until you have more to replace the empty spots.

Good work !

Jean

Jan 20 10 09:22 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Hayley Louise Moore wrote:
what do i need more of and what needs to go? How can i take my port to the next level?

Hayley... # 1 and 2 should definatly be out of your port ! I don't think I have to explain... shots are bad and no expressions to support a concept.

In new album #4 should also go: questionable pose making your shoulders look weird and forcing an angle to youyr head that is not flattering.

Overall you must work on expressions in a mirror, explore your inner self to find the emotions you need to convey in order to support the subject of the photographs. Explore different styles of modeling to find where you FEEL at your best and where you feel you have a reason to be in the frame.

You are good looking so just build confidence by working more and more... Experience has a lot to do with it.

Have a great day

Jean

Jan 20 10 09:31 am Link

Model

Frenchie in Miami

Miami, Florida, US

I have limited space in my port and I was wondering if I should remove one and if yes which one. I have a pic where I smile, should I put it? I have been told I look too serious!
I am full of life and easy going so should I show it?

Thanks!!!

Jan 20 10 09:32 am Link

Model

TrackBelle

San Francisco, California, US

What do you think of my work?

Jan 20 10 09:36 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Frenchie in Miami wrote:
I have limited space in my port and I was wondering if I should remove one and if yes which one. I have a pic where I smile, should I put it? I have been told I look too serious!
I am full of life and easy going so should I show it?

Thanks!!!

Bonjour Frenchie :-)

The Klash picture could go for sure...it is not in your repertoire and the execution is a bit shaky... Otherwise I think you have a great look and the nature of the shots made it so you look serious but it was appropriate. I could suggest you try more lifestyle shots to allow for uplifting smiles and moods. And if you already have some "happier" shots well use them ! It will bring variation and show your other side !

Good job Frenchie

Au revoir !

Jean

Jan 20 10 09:39 am Link

Photographer

BMack

Marietta, Georgia, US

It would be really helpful for a good honest opinion of my work! What needs to go what do I need to do differently?

Jan 20 10 09:43 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

TrackBelle wrote:
What do you think of my work?

TackBelle I have seen your work before and I can tell you are improving with every shot you add to your port. That is very positive.

You have enough shots where you show yourself as a teen. I'd like to see a more mature look I think it would give more weight to your port and also open other opportunities.

Keep on with the good progression I've seen so far !

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 09:44 am Link

Model

Frenchie in Miami

Miami, Florida, US

JeanD wrote:
Bonjour Frenchie :-)

The Klash picture could go for sure...it is not in your repertoire and the execution is a bit shaky... Otherwise I think you have a great look and the nature of the shots made it so you look serious but it was appropriate. I could suggest you try more lifestyle shots to allow for uplifting smiles and moods. And if you already have some "happier" shots well use them ! It will bring variation and show your other side !

Good job Frenchie

Au revoir !

Jean

Thank you so much for the warm wishes!!
I removed the rock one because many people told me it was not good. I posted a new one. Do you like it?
I have other shoots coming up so will probably have new ones in the following week.

Bonne journee et merci de vos encouragements!

Jan 20 10 09:46 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Xcellentphotography wrote:
It would be really helpful for a good honest opinion of my work! What needs to go what do I need to do differently?

First, The Orton effect on shot #1 is too strong return to layers and work them until the blur and the highlights don't interfere with the image

# 3 is a repetition of #2 but less effective due to a cropping to tight and the tree between her legs ruins any graphic potential

#6 Gun and panties do not seperate in the light...

#9 Prego shot #4 is more effective and researched. #9 can be flushed.

In general I'd be curious to see you working closer to the emotional side of your models and make more efforts in creating moods by lighting or/and by choosing locations....

Exploration is great and it will bring you to where you want to be I am sure...
Keep exploring !

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 09:53 am Link

Photographer

BMack

Marietta, Georgia, US

JeanD wrote:

First, The Orton effect on shot #1 is too strong return to layers and work them until the blur and the highlights don't interfere with the image

# 3 is a repetition of #2 but less effective due to a cropping to tight and the tree between her legs ruins any graphic potential

#6 Gun and panties do not seperate in the light...

#9 Prego shot #4 is more effective and researched. #9 can be flushed.

In general I'd be curious to see you working closer to the emotional side of your models and make more efforts in creating moods by lighting or/and by choosing locations....

Exploration is great and it will bring you to where you want to be I am sure...
Keep exploring !

Cheers

Jean

Thank you very much for taking the time to look through my portfolio. I appreciate your honesty.

Bryan

Jan 20 10 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

JeanD wrote:

Grudge !

First I'd like to pay respect to the quality of your work. It is creative as well as technicaly impeccable. Your choices are excellent in every way.

#3 Although the ambiance of the room is well rendered, the image does not convey anything we can focus our attention to making it weaker than the rest of your port.

#14 Interesting in concept but it did not receive the benefits of your great ability to make images unique therefore it stands out as weak in comparaison.

Have a great day !

Jean

thanks- those two are from a new series I'm experimenting with...still trying to master that type of technique. I'll get it soon though!

Jan 20 10 12:43 pm Link

Model

Samantha Williamson

Altoona, Florida, US

which images should i delete...

Jan 20 10 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Elaine Ford wrote:
which images should i delete...

Bonjour Elaine,

How are you ?

To me on page 1: # 3,7 do not render your qualities
on page 2: #7 and 8 do not add to your port

You could even be more critical and pick only the best to make it 20 images total. The quality of your work is great enough to make a real statement with 20 for now... and until new styles with new photogs brings a totally different dimension to your work.

You already know I love your work....

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 01:48 pm Link

Model

xX ReD Xx

Raymond, Mississippi, US

ME PLEASE!!
=]

Jan 20 10 01:53 pm Link

Model

John Ujjjjjjj Xghp

Ķızıltepa, Navoi, Uzbekistan

What do you think of my new avatar?

Jan 20 10 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Red Oswalt wrote:
ME PLEASE!!
=]

Don'T know exactly what you want to know from me.... but I guess it is my general feeling... so...

I find  most of your shots not flattering for many reasons, mainly the quality of light. You face is not easy to shoot I can tell so you need to find some good photogs who knows how to deal with light.

I would keep # 2,4,6,8,9,16,19 and 20 as your port and make # 19 your avatar...

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 02:01 pm Link

Model

Samantha Williamson

Altoona, Florida, US

Thank you smile I'll prob try to get it back down to the 20 once ive get some of my new images!

Loving your project, its very strong! I would love to hear more about it.

Jan 20 10 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Lisa Levin wrote:
What do you think of my new avatar?

Lisa... Although it's a fun picture I believe pic #5 would better serve the purpose. The first impression you leave to photogs is you AVI so be very picky !

Cheers

Jean

Jan 20 10 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Keeping in mind that I'm just learning photography (no school) what should I concentrate on the most right now?

Jan 20 10 06:58 pm Link

Model

Lloyd Wootten

Chico, California, US

I'd like a general opinion smile

Jan 20 10 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

What are my weakest images?

Jan 20 10 10:22 pm Link

Model

John Ujjjjjjj Xghp

Ķızıltepa, Navoi, Uzbekistan

JeanD wrote:

Lisa... Although it's a fun picture I believe pic #5 would better serve the purpose. The first impression you leave to photogs is you AVI so be very picky !

Cheers

Jean

Thanks Jean!

And I really like your avi. It's aesthetically pleasing but there is some depth to it. I love the pensive expression, and the delicate way her hair is falling down.

Jan 20 10 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
Keeping in mind that I'm just learning photography (no school) what should I concentrate on the most right now?

Photons... You are doing good and the potential is there. I would say...
In general, your pics seem to be lacking a reason to be. Having no goals (use) in mind can make a picture's subject appear weaker. So for every shot you make you might try to give it a definite style and approach to help you focus on your choices of location, model, angles and light. Say this next shoot I will concentrate on a fashion oriented approach and another one on a conceptual approach; giving each projecy a well thought preparation and visualisation.

Cheers !

Jean

Jan 21 10 03:23 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Lloyd Wootten wrote:
I'd like a general opinion smile

Lloyd, you have a fair potential in modeling. First I'd be more selective in your avi, it is your front page here ! Second for selling yourself as a model I'd suggest you take out your lip jewelery and show a more well assured attitude, a stronger presence, more affirmative in your look.

Good luck !

Jean

Jan 21 10 03:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Hannah OBrien

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Where do you think I should go from here?  I feel I need more direction, but I don't know which way...

Jan 21 10 03:28 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
What are my weakest images?

Eclectic...
I'd say
#8: The aesthetic lighting mixed with the dramatic action of the model do not seem to co-exist very well. Re-shoot the idea

#13 and 14 are less than your average...

Good work !

Jean

Jan 21 10 03:35 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Hannah OBrien wrote:
Where do you think I should go from here?  I feel I need more direction, but I don't know which way...

Hannah... Good work in general... my first impression looking at your port is what does pic # 1 has to do with you as an MUA ??

Direction: I would think ( MUA'S correct me if I am wrong ) that you should expand your scope in terms of being able to reproduce make-up trends of the past like movie star glamour shots or themes such as the 20's, the 50's, the 70's etc... Also show your ability to envision characters in conceptual worlds. Of course it is very difficult for an MUA to find the opportunities with photogs for specific styles but working at developing your abilities will eventualy prove helpful.

Cheers

Jean

Jan 21 10 03:44 am Link

Model

Lloyd Wootten

Chico, California, US

JeanD wrote:
Lloyd, you have a fair potential in modeling. First I'd be more selective in your avi, it is your front page here ! Second for selling yourself as a model I'd suggest you take out your lip jewelery and show a more well assured attitude, a stronger presence, more affirmative in your look.

Good luck !

Jean

Thank you. I really appreciate the advice, If you were to pick an Avi out of my port which would you pick? And I agree with the lip jewelry, however I do like to keep some to show my versatility as an Alt model as well.

Jan 21 10 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Lloyd Wootten wrote:

Thank you. I really appreciate the advice, If you were to pick an Avi out of my port which would you pick? And I agree with the lip jewelry, however I do like to keep some to show my versatility as an Alt model as well.

This would be the one I choose...

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100117/16/4b53a85ed23d7_m.jpg

Cheers and good luck with your plans

Jean

Jan 21 10 04:43 pm Link