Forums > Newbie Forum > Photographers are a dime a dozen

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Photoman754 wrote:
Damm it Click! I have a MM model set for a shoot Monday and I was thinking about a shaving thing. Now it will look like a stole your idea. LOL

Original stuff is difficult isn't it?

Great minds think alike.

What do you plan to shave?

Jun 08 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Brandon Miller

New York, New York, US

Hi my name is Brandon Miller and i am trying to get into this business but have been having no real luck. I heard that this would be a great place to start so please get back to me and let me know if there is something about me that interests you or even if there is something that warrants improvement. Thank you for your time.

Jun 08 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

This horse has been beaten to death..........but.
Photographers dime a dozen? Good one's dime half dozen. Flaky models??
mmmm......about three dozen per your dime.

Jun 08 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Johns Photoart

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Go back 100 years and artists DID NOT consider photography to be art. It was a "disgrace" to a painter to see a guy with a box click a shutter and get an image instead of working hard using paints and brushes and canvas. Eventually photography did earn it's place in art when the public realized there was an incredible amount of skill needed to create wonderful images- especially when it came to the darkroom. Today, I chuckle when I read posts of "establish photographers" in film putting down digital photographers (GWC). Things change and yet they remain the same. The same thinking continues.
ANYONE can take a photo. And-if wanted- ANYONE can develop film and print images in a darkroom. BUT it takes an accomplished photographer to master it- to develop his/her own style.
The same is true of digital work. ANYONE can use Photoshop or any of the other numerous pieces of software out there BUT not everyone will master it and make it their own. Some photographers put down digital because they can't do it. Some because they haven't tried it. And others because they think it is "hip" to claim you're a film user. I even know some who secretly use digital and CLAIM it is film!
But the times they are-a-changin'. I know- I fought CD's tooth and nail in preference of LP's and 45 records. I lost. Records are the past. Cd's are the current trend and new modes are on the way. The same holds true for photography. Film is becoming more scarce as is photo paper and the chemicals. It's a digital world and you will adjust or become extinct.

Jun 08 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

REPhotography wrote:
[Also, as a rule, on sites like this I check out the last date the model logged in.  If its been a long while, I'll just keep moving along.
-Rob

Good point!

It is important to distinguish between inactive models who ignore everyone vs. those that specifically ignore you.

As far as the big picture, the problem is that people who can't tell good photography from bad are a nickel a dozen!

Jun 08 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Johns Photoart wrote:
Go back 100 years and artists DID NOT consider photography to be art. It was a "disgrace" to a painter to see a guy with a box click a shutter and get an image instead of working hard using paints and brushes and canvas.

Hee hee, not as so as you state.

Go back a touch further-and you'll find painters (Johannes Vermeer anyone?) that used cameras to "see" in order to improve their paintings/technique...

As for: "artists DID NOT consider photography to be art"...hmmmmm, and a way back then many classical painters did not consider impressionists to be painters (yawn) and on and on...

Change scares and confuses most people.

But it is the engine of the universe........

Jun 08 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Most jobs have many people in competition...Lawyers, Doctors, Barbers. You got to get your client base going and work with your base.

Jun 08 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Several of you have noted its not just about how good your work is as many
models really have no ideal whats good or bad.  It comes down to marketing
yourself, good people skills, knowing your market and advertising.  Good old
advertising.  Many photographers seem to want to keep themselves a well known
secret but you've got to advertise.  If you want to shoot models then being
where the models are helps or near colleges and of course contact the local
agencies.  One of our former mods told a story about a photographer he knew
of.  Very average shooter but he was such fun to be around. He was  funny and intresting.  What some people don't know is that good people skills can be
learned.  As far as attracting on-line models to work with you did anybody
notice the recent 'fake' casting call for a B horror movie?  Lots of responses
and it was a parody of a casting call and very funny as well as one a while
back for The Bo-gus modeling agency.  People really don't pay attention to
whats been written.  They do pay attention if you offer either money or if
you have a few flashy images.  If you don't have the images that attract models
check out those that do.  Pay thats right grasshopper, pay a few great looking
models and get some flashy stuff.  If you have a great looking friend or two
that works also.  Get their make-up done also and some sexy outfits.

Jun 08 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Does "Last activity" = last time logged in or last time an actual change or post was made?

Does it resolve down to seconds or minutes so that someone who logged in 5 minutes ago is ahead of someone who did an hour ago?

Jun 08 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

Try to avoid request like 'You look great. Wanna tfcd?'. Professionnal behaviour is a must. Get a make-up artist and mention him in your offer. Be concise but precise in your ideas. State what you have in mind in a short way. Something like this should be good:

Hi Model X,

I am looking for someone like you to participate in my victorian doll project. You have very nice angular features and the very fair, flawless skin tone I need. A stylist and make-up artist will be there, so you do not have to worry about clothes, hair and make-up. I had in mind to shoot outside in XYZ park, in about two weeks.

I'll give you a copy of the photos on a cd, and I'll retouch 3 for you for each outfit. Are you interested? What would be the best time for you?

Drop me a line,

Photographer X

That way, they have a pretty good idea of what you want to do. Enough for them to see if they are interested, anyway. If you have trouble finding models for tfcd, try offering paid jobs. This should get you started.

Jun 08 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Eloise wrote:
Try to avoid request like 'You look great. Wanna tfcd?'. Professionnal behaviour is a must. Get a make-up artist and mention him in your offer. Be concise but precise in your ideas. State what you have in mind in a short way. Something like this should be good:

Hi Model X,

I am looking for someone like you to participate in my victorian doll project. You have very nice angular features and the very fair, flawless skin tone I need. A stylist and make-up artist will be there, so you do not have to worry about clothes, hair and make-up. I had in mind to shoot outside in XYZ park, in about two weeks.

I'll give you a copy of the photos on a cd, and I'll retouch 3 for you for each outfit. Are you interested? What would be the best time for you?

Drop me a line,

Photographer X

That way, they have a pretty good idea of what you want to do. Enough for them to see if they are interested, anyway. If you have trouble finding models for tfcd, try offering paid jobs. This should get you started.

Excellent Advice.

Jun 08 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Johns Photoart wrote:
Go back 100 years and artists DID NOT consider photography to be art. It was a "disgrace" to a painter to see a guy with a box click a shutter and get an image instead of working hard using paints and brushes and canvas. Eventually photography did earn it's place in art when the public realized there was an incredible amount of skill needed to create wonderful images- especially when it came to the darkroom. Today, I chuckle when I read posts of "establish photographers" in film putting down digital photographers (GWC). Things change and yet they remain the same. The same thinking continues.
ANYONE can take a photo. And-if wanted- ANYONE can develop film and print images in a darkroom. BUT it takes an accomplished photographer to master it- to develop his/her own style.
The same is true of digital work. ANYONE can use Photoshop or any of the other numerous pieces of software out there BUT not everyone will master it and make it their own. Some photographers put down digital because they can't do it. Some because they haven't tried it. And others because they think it is "hip" to claim you're a film user. I even know some who secretly use digital and CLAIM it is film!
But the times they are-a-changin'. I know- I fought CD's tooth and nail in preference of LP's and 45 records. I lost. Records are the past. Cd's are the current trend and new modes are on the way. The same holds true for photography. Film is becoming more scarce as is photo paper and the chemicals. It's a digital world and you will adjust or become extinct.

Fifteen years ago I went to the Jacob Javis Civic Center in NYC to trade show....one of the exhibits was "digital imaging station"....where a techician was cutting flower flower out of a scanned print....(the scanner was a HUGE drum type)...and pasting them on the other side of the photo....is was so basic but everyone was ooohing and aaahing.....my original thought was ....jeezz...I better learn this....so I sidled up to the reb and inquired about the price of the "digital work station"......"oh!...I can get you into one for about $35,000"...yes, that's right $35 with a thousand......needless to say...I couldn't afford it....but always kept that "digital stuff" in the back of my mind as priorty.....a majority of the photographers around me were laughing and calling this a "gimmick"..."flash in the pan" and "today's must have".........almost all said that film will never die.....

Skip ahead to today....most of the those guys are out of business!....like the painters before them who scoffed at photography .......so take a look at some of today's figures.....9 out of every ten cameras sold in the US is digital.....Agfa a long time film producer no longer produces film......Kodak, the Great Yellow Father in Rochester has scaled back film production 85%......and no longer produces film cameras at all.....

I barely managed to sell off my traditional film cameras both 35mm and medium format before the market dropped out.......I sold all my darkroom equipment to a "novice" who still enjoys the smell of chemicals....stained hands....and squinty eyes from long hours in the darkroom.....

Digital is the only way I shoot.....and it's a pure pleasure.....it increases your profit margin, in my case, 85% over the use of film.....especially medium format....I can do all my own imaging via PhotoShop and no longer have to wait weeks for proofs....enlargments or special orders......couple that with my graphic arts background it has opened up whole new areas that I would never have entered....it has made me so competitive price wise I don't understand how studios that still use film can stay in business.....

Jun 08 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Eloise wrote:
Professionnal behaviour is a must. Get a make-up artist and mention him in your offer.

Women are ga-ga over "makeup artists"

I think it's something primal or about affirming their self worth.

My first thought is ... why waste money, time and the distraction of an MUA at a simple photo shoot that's TFP?

What's important for good photos is rich lighting, lines, shadows, expressions, message, composition, impact, etc.

Personally, I would rather a model show up with light makeup. Fresh and clean is better. Heavy foundation, etc., slows me down in photoshop post processing and it does not respond to the richness of light and changes of light like natural skin does.

Furthermore, women continually fussing with makeup and makeup touchups when I'm trying to shoot photos drives me nuts. Then they sweat under the makeup and it looks worse as they layer more on.

In photos all this makeup makes nearly no positive difference at all, and it can really get in the way. The last girl who came here and lathered it on prints out orange and opaque. For the life of me I can't figure out how to compensate for that. She looks like a piece of plastic at a halloween party.

Anyway, try telling that to a woman who wants to be a model.

Women really stress out about makeup. And shoes. And outfit changes. I think that it's more that they want to be pampered like they are at a day spa. It makes them feel beautiful and glamourous.

Frankly, I think it's better to offer a massage therapist than an MUA and perhaps a bottle of champagne with strawberries to motivate the wannabees.

Why not get to the point.

Jun 08 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Photographers are a dime a dozen.

Dude... with the world population heading rapidly towards 7 billion... EVERYONE is a dime a dozen.  Your goal should be to find something unique about what it is that you do that seperates you from the rest... wink

Jun 08 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

OUCH!.....I'm in Ocala...but the rocks go far!

Seriously....it's the digital world comming at ya!.....now anyone who picks up do everything, automatic, whiz bang 100 million MEGA PIXEL camera considers themselves a "photographer"......little things like rule of composition....depth of field...learning lighting....f-stops, shutter speeds....and all the million thing you learn as a PROFESSIONAL....go out the window.....all you have to do is spend a few bucks for business cards....have a good rap and BINGO!.....you're a professional photographer.....

And we wonder why models are so skeptical!

I think you need to look at it this way. Some of us study photography and some just wing it. You can tell the difference and I hope the real models can also. This is the same thing that go's on in every line of work. So I think it is better to say there are alot of  Guys With Cameras and then there are a few photographers.

Mike

Jun 08 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I agree with the OP- I would much rather here "no thanks"  then get no reply.

Jun 08 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Women are ga-ga over "makeup artists"

I think it's something primal or about affirming their self worth.

My first thought is ... why waste money, time and the distraction of an MUA at a simple photo shoot that's TFP?

Well said!

The KISS principle should apply to most TFCD shoots.

MUA's have their place in TFCD shoots when they initiate them and provide models that they are familiar with. Then, the point of the shoot is to showcase the MUA's work, with the models being "second fiddle" to a point.

I recently had a very successful shoot of this type with Divine Creations MM# 133006:

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/GraffitiV-DivineCreations/DSC_2217.jpg

In this example, the use of makeup is obvious, and leads to a very distinct image in which the MUA is the "star".

Jun 08 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Eloise wrote:

Hi Model X,

Drop me a line,

Photographer X

Wow- this is a pain in the %ss.  This is what amatuer models looking to develop their portfolio expect?  For free? 

-Jose

Jun 08 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Jose Luis wrote:

Wow- this is a pain in the %ss.  This is what amatuer models looking to develop their portfolio expect?

-Jose

This is the "dream TFCD request" from a model's point of view. If it was a waterside shoot, I'm sure Cecil B. DeMille would be expected to invoke a dramatic parting in the background.

Jun 08 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eloise wrote:

Hi Model X,

Drop me a line,

Photographer X

While this sounds great you are talking about someone with a big budget.
Certainly beyond most of the admited hobbists here.  Most could not afford
both a MUA, clothes and a stylist.  This for a model who might not even show.
I think if someone wants to really work with someone they will.  Whats offered
via a TFP is usually just the images and with a model getting sometimes the
high quality shots I see thats a great deal.  We continue to see the same comments about models not coming to shoots, no call and even no response
to e-mails.  What does that suggest?  It really isn't your work, its not about
what you are offering.  Its more about the models.  A model really serious
about shooting will.  I've had models drive hours to work with my average ass
so I know they will do it with other people if they want.

Jun 08 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
We continue to see the same comments about models not coming to shoots, no call and even no response
to e-mails.  What does that suggest?  It really isn't your work, its not about
what you are offering.  Its more about the models.  A model really serious
about shooting will.

I think you just nailed it!

This explains a lot, especially to the gung-ho photographers who produce good-quality work and can't understand why more model's aren't interested!

The gung-ho tend to assume that others must be as gung-ho as they are, setting themselves up for disappointment.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I'm describing myself to a large degree.

Jun 08 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

rp_photo wrote:
MUA's have their place in TFCD shoots when they initiate them and provide models that they are familiar with. Then, the point of the shoot is to showcase the MUA's work, with the models being "second fiddle" to a point.

Exactly. Same for outfit changes ... only if we are advertising the outfits, and not the model. Same for a lot of things that distract us from the main point, which should be to make the best images we can.

It used to amuse me to see women name their gallery sets as "little black dress" ... or "purple lingerie" etc., or "my this" and "my that"

We should keep our eye on originality, concept, message, presentation, impact, and standing out amongst all the other image and advertising clutter that bombards us every day from all directions.

On the other hand, lots of us do this for fun, so who cares what we do?

Back to my original premise of providing a massage therapist rather than an MUA

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

PS, eyes are the windows to the soul.

Jun 08 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I always remember one thing a teacher told me once about photography and design, and art in general. It's like basketball. Anyone can play, but Jordan, (or Shaq now, I guess) is really good and get paid to do it.

in hind site that's the only thing I got out of that teacher.

Jun 08 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

photoman... the best advice i can give you is... make sure your absolute best images are on the site... if you second guess it even for a second, take the shot down. i'd much rather see a photog's page with 3 outstanding images than one that is completely full of crap.

on to your work... right now it sees a bit ametuerish and the models can see that... note that models are looking at fashion magazines and wishing they were in them or at least feellike they're in them... if you're imagery is not as punchy as something in harper's or vogue... they're gonna take a deal from someone else.

so how do you get it looking like that us ask... well, the more you shoot, the more you know what works and what doesn't. since it seems your starting out... go grab a mag from the store with pictures you like and try to emulate one of them... then try another and perhaps it'll help.

as for right now... change that avi immediatly... your avi has to be the strongest shot in your book... for what i see right now in there... perhaps the shot with the girl with the boots on and she has a leg up on a chair. it's a little more styled, more edgy, more skilled, and the exposure is on. the one you have now... well... i shot something  like that when i was like 15... are you 15? i really doubt it. the girl is not the most attractive of your book and what she's wearing looks like what she came in... very blah. you gotta jazz it up a bit. fashion photography is about fantasy and she looks like she just got out of class on a "bummy" day.

hope this helps... holla if you need to.

-berrios

Jun 08 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

fair

Columbia, South Carolina, US

It doesn't make any difference if a model is serious and professional--good photographers with people skills and calenders are hard to find. I have ranted on and on about this subject on MM, maybe it is just me but probably 90% of the photographers I contact write back once, if at all, and then I never hear from them again. My book seems to be limited and I've had only TWO photo shoots this year because I cannot get a commitment or a follow up. Not even a "I am not interested". I think I carried-on about this same thing two days ago--is it just me?

Jun 08 06 04:59 pm Link