Forums > Newbie Forum > newbie in san francisco

Model

pyrokitten

San Francisco, California, US

hi all!

i've been modeling for fun for a couple of years now, but i've only just posted my profile here.  i meant to do it ages ago, but finally got motivated as i'm planning various travels (seattle, portland, nevada, utah, colorado, etc.) and want to have something to show photographers in the places i'm going to visit.

i have a question about contacting photographers - what is the best way to approach a photographer who has no idea who you are?  i have to admit i feel somewhat shy contacting photographers out of the blue, but there are a couple of people i really want to work with.  i don't want to scare them away by sounding like a total dork. smile

~pk

Jun 01 06 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Joe Sheridan

Sunnyvale, California, US

As long as you are professional and straight to the point, most photographers would react well. Here is a brief example.

Mr. Photographer, I like your portfolio. I am interested in working with you on xxxxxx project (describe the idea). I can (or I need someone else) do my own makeup and hair style. Would you be interested ? This will be.....paid  or TFP/TFCD.

NOTE: when I mention "paid", the photographer is the one who is getting paid in this case.

Jun 08 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Joe Sheridan wrote:
As long as you are professional and straight to the point, most photographers would react well. Here is a brief example.

Mr. Photographer, I like your portfolio. I am interested in working with you on xxxxxx project (describe the idea). I can (or I need someone else) do my own makeup and hair style. Would you be interested ? This will be.....paid  or TFP/TFCD.

NOTE: when I mention "paid", the photographer is the one who is getting paid in this case.

I totally second Joe's advice and sample letter. Models who have contacted me through the MM or OMP referrals have basically done just that. Including a link to your own profile/portfolio, if this was an email outside of the OMP/MM system, would help the photographer make an assessment.

Btw, welcome to MM and good luck! Love the photos in your portfolio. Especially the paper towel one. smile

Jun 08 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Regardless of whether or not they want to work with you, most photographers are flattered when you ask... it shows that you like their work, and how is that a bad thing?

I know a bit about how you feel, though, I'm a bit hesitant in approaching new models too. Why do we have a stupid fear of rejection from people we haven't even met?

Jun 09 06 01:48 pm Link