Forums > Newbie Forum > Do I have a chance?

Model

Gina Lee 1990

MIDWAY CITY, California, US

Tell me what you think.

May 28 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Suburban Hippie Pho

Hampstead, Maryland, US

tell me what YOU think.

May 28 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Gina Lee 1990

Hi there.

May 28 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

No.

But then again, neither do I. 

Why do people always ask this.  If you start off doubting yourself then no, you don't have a chance.  If you need other people to tell you how good and pretty you are then you don't have a chance. 

I have no chance.  my work is not professional quality.  it is average to good at best.  I know this.   It feels good to get compliments, but I will continue to practice my craft regardless of others' opinions.

So in reality, I say yes you have a chance, but only if you give yourself one, and be realistic with your goals.   

-Kevin

(PS,  This post isn't meant to be rude, just honest.  If this offends you then you don't have a chance unless you grow some thicker skin)

May 28 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Suburban Hippie Pho

Hampstead, Maryland, US

Gina Lee 1990 wrote:
Hi there.

Hello, but you still didn't tell me what you think.

May 28 06 09:35 pm Link

Model

Gina Lee 1990

Someone just e-mailed me and called me fat so I guess I don't

May 28 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

well you look way larger then you say you are in your messurements..no offense but to me it looks like you are lying about that.You don't lok fat to me but you don't look 32-23-32 at all...not at all...I'm not even 23 at the waist and you look way bigger than me...maybe you should start out by not lying about your stats.By the way you have a gorgeous face though.

May 28 06 09:42 pm Link

Model

Alecia Joy

Seattle, Washington, US

If your self-image is so fragile that one comment from someone you don't know is enough to shatter it, you don't have what it takes. If you want to succeed you need to be willing to actually work to better yourself and not just think that you are perfectly cut out for modeling with one shoot under your belt.

May 28 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

you know if you just try it out for a while you'll know if you are cut out for it or not.

May 28 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Phoebe I

Austin, Indiana, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
well you look way larger then you say you are in your messurements..no offense but to me it looks like you are lying about that.You don't lok fat to me but you don't look 32-23-32 at all...not at all...I'm not even 23 at the waist and you look way bigger than me...maybe you should start out by not lying about your stats.By the way you have a gorgeous face though.

Agreed, you should go get your measurements done, cause those are not correct. Your do have a cute face.

May 28 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

Asha

Babe...listen (or read, rather):

You have beautiful eyes and a great facial structure.  Looks are not everything.  You have what it takes if you are willing to work out enough to keep your muscles toned and camera-ready, pose in odd/awkward positions for 20 mins at a time in uncomfortable clothing with your hair and makeup being fixed every few seconds, keep your nails manicured *just in case* you land a gig, can come up with ideas OF YOUR OWN to share with your photographer if you want TFP because I'll tell you a lot of great photographers are really just doing aspiring models a favor here...

You have to be CONFIDENT.  You have to KNOW you're hot.  You have to know that you have something NOBODY else has.  You have to flaunt that thing.

So, what do you say?  Do you, indeed, have what it takes?  It's a decision, babe, and only you can make it.

May 28 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

TrueBeauty

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Gina Lee 1990 wrote:
Someone just e-mailed me and called me fat so I guess I don't

[p]
My first reaction suggestion to this is to file them under "Idiot" and go forward.
[p]
A lot of people here have given you the best answer...believe in yourself. If you have any doubts then, no, you won't have a chance. But if persevere you might (note: "might") have a chance. There's no guarantee that you will, but if you don't take the steps that you need to do you'll never know.
[p]
I'm well into the latter half century of my life and because of decisions I made, decisions made for me, or just sheer laziness there is much in my life that I regret not having tried. So here I am trying my hand at Model photography and, while I have gotten decidely better since I started about 5 or so years ago, I know that I'm mediocre at best. Will I ever be a 'name' photographer? Will I ever be a photographer of world class models? Damned if I know but what I do know is that as long as this remains FUN and doesn't turn into 'just a job' then I'll continue doing it.
[p]
So get 'out there' and give it a go. I know there are many photographers here who would love to photograph you...I'm one of them.

Richard W.

May 28 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

Destree

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

A "chance" is all up to you hun.
Yes, it is a hard industry to make it far in, but if you truly want to do this, if this is your passion, then ride that dream and take it as far as you can make it go.
This is a go-getter's dream, the type of thing you have to make happen for yourself. Approach photographers, don't wait for them to come to you. Don't search for money right away, as in all things, we all have to start at the bottom. Build up your experience and portfolio, then approach agencies. Or, if you'd rather manage yourself, then just keep pushing. People along the way will try and drag you down, and they will insult you and tell you that you can't make it, but its just because they're jealous - you're a threat to them, as they try to reach the same goal you're after.
Just keep your chin up, and go make it happen!

Best of luck,
Destree

May 28 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think it should be a rule on MM that if anyone asks "Do I have what it takes?" everyone has to jump on that thread and say "No." and just leave it at that. Maybe if we're mean enough about it people will stop asking this question. If you need to ask, then no...you don't. Confidence is one of the single most important things a model can have. And I agree that you should fix your measurements. If you're forthcoming about your size maybe people won't comment on it.

May 28 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

dont know how i popped up 3 times, my apologize, guess im not meant to be a photographer on this forum either

Chris

May 28 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My question is why does every female believe that they are capable of becoming a model? If a guy whistles at you on the street, or grabs your ass in the bar, this is not a sign that you are model material.  You are average looking, im not being harsh, just realistic, your young find something you are meant to do...

Just my 2 cents..

Chris

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

they should add a delete function to this thing

Chris

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

ChrisHughes wrote:
My question is why does every female believe that they are capable of becoming a model? If a guy whistles at you on the street, or grabs your ass in the bar, this is not a sign that you are model material.  You are average looking, im not being harsh, just realistic, your young find something you are meant to do...

Just my 2 cents..

Chris

Now, now. Besides the fact that this girl is too young for guys to be grabbing her ass in a bar - look at her stats, she's 16 - I don't feel that the only way to judge if someone is a good model or not is if they're stunningly beautiful. Actually, there are plenty of big-name models who are really kind of odd-looking in real life...BUT they are able to take direction well and use their bodies and expressions to convey the image that the photographer is trying to create, and that's what makes them good.

However... I'm going to cut-and-paste my own response to another one of these "do I have what it takes?" threads:

A chance at what? Modeling? I'm really thinking a moratorium needs to be placed on the "am I attractive enough to be a model?" threads. Besides the fact that the question is almost always less an honest request for critique and more a thinly-disguised plea for ego-stroking, it's a stupid question: If you want to be a model and people are willing to take your photo, then you're a model. Hell, other people don't even have to photograph you; you can just pose for your own work, and you're still a model. What does the opinion of a bunch of strangers on the Internet have to do with whether or not you "can" be a model?

If the real question is, "Am I attractive enough to be a successful, famous model," and it often is, then 99% of the time, the answer is going to be no - because if you were, you would have been discovered already.

You're reasonably pretty - find some decent photographers to shoot you.

Oh, and stop lying about your build, because I'm several inches broader and 10lbs heavier than you're claiming to be, and I would bet money that you're actually bigger than I am. (EDIT: She changed it, so it's more like I'm bigger in the boobs and 5lbs heavier now. Well, it's a start.) At your age, a certain amount of babyfat is expected in the face, but your body is just not anywhere near skinny enough to match the measurements you've listed. "Having what it takes" isn't just about being really skinny...or claiming to be. There's nothing wrong with not being tiny - but there is something wrong with being deceptive.

May 28 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hinterland

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm honestly kinda shocked.  Not about the question...for someone just beginning and who wants an opinion it is an honest question, because you really don't know what to expect or what to ask. I'm shocked that people responded about how you look instead of how you said you were measured based on one rotten shot.

In the only picture that I can see of your body, it is tilted at a terrible angle [no offense to your photographer]. Even Kate Moss would look heavy posed like that. I never take a model based on a picture. In the right hands a camera can be very flattering, and in an inexperianced hands...not so flattering. Its why I always meet my models prior to even considering them for a shoot. Any reference to your weight or hinged around how you should  look or the need to tone your body - as if runway / glamour / swimsuits were the only type of modeling around - you can ignore if you like. They mean well I'm sure, but while sex sells, percentage wise it doesn't sell or pay nearly as much as solid stock work. And I think you'd make a great stock model as is. You look healthy, you're pretty - give you something commercial to work with and while people might not know who you are at the end of the day, they could identify with you. And that makes money. Lots of it.

You're biggest assets will be your personality and your willingness to work and we can't discern those from a few pictures, so to answer your question - we're not sure if you can make it. Show us what you've got! Remember: I've ditched plenty of good models who were no fun to work with and who fussed to much for models who were easy going and willing to work an extra hour.

I second all of those who have encouraged you to be self confidant, and not doubt yourself - but then I don't think thats what you were doing with your question. Definitely give things a try. If you really want to be a model you'll figure out quick enough what types of photographers you want to work with, what type of work you like to do, and what you need to do to keep in the business. As for opinions...they're like diapers. Everyone's had one and they're usually full of crap. I'm sure there are people who will read this and think I'm full of crap. Maybe YOU think I'm full of crap. Thats fine. What I'm going for is just don't let yourself be pushed around (certainly not by me).

I do what I love, I love what I do, and I hope you end up the same because in the end...thats all that matters. If you're not happy...its a good sign that something needs to change! Be you. If people don't like it, screw 'em and go find people who do.

May 28 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes Catriona their are alot of odd looking successful models in the industry that make tons of cash.  Their are also NBA players that are 5'8" (like myself), doesnt mean that I am in the same league. 

If she enjoys taking pics, keep taking pics... but understand it will never be a career.  I keep playing basketball, and I am not heart broken at the fact I know I will never make the NBA, im just realisitic.

Honesty is the key!!!

May 28 06 11:33 pm Link