Forums > Newbie Forum > Newbie here....

Model

Carrie Latham

Twin Falls, Idaho, US

Hi everyone!  It's so nice to find an *active* place to post messages and checkout casting calls!

I'm new to this industry and looking for ways to broaden my looks, build a portfolio and find great work in and around Idaho. 

I really need to find a photographer to start building a portfolio...the only pics I have are ones that I or my friends have taken...you can still let me know what you think though wink....do I have what it takes?  I know I can't be a fashion/runway/swimsuit model because I'm much too short and "thick"...but I can do commercial work and maybe some print?

Anywho....just wanted to say "hi" to everyone and introduce myself!

Have a happy Friday and a great weekend!

Carrie

May 19 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

As with everyone who poses the question "do i have what it takes", I must ask what kind of modelling are you trying to get into? What market do you think you appeal to?

May 19 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Carrie Latham

Twin Falls, Idaho, US

Well Claire....I understand and agree with the fact that high fashion and runway will never work for me.  I would like to do maybe some catalog, tv commercials, print...my style seems to be rather ecclectic and I love the outdoors, so I'm not sure what that can help with?  I'm really looking for advice from all of you "pros"...

PS-sorry about the multiple posts...my computer is slow and I hit the post button a few times....LOL!

May 19 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Well I can't say that I know a whole lot, but like you said fashion/runway are definately out because of your height. Your location is also working against you. I don't think theres a whole of modelling going down in Idaho lol. The other problem is that models your age (your soon to be competition) are going to have at least 10 years experience on you. You are very pretty from what I can see but it looks like catalogs and print might be your option? Maybe some beauty?

May 19 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Forgot to mention artistic shots if you are ok with nudity?

May 19 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

Carrie Latham

Twin Falls, Idaho, US

May 19 06 12:28 pm Link

Model

Carrie Latham

Twin Falls, Idaho, US

That's exactly what I was thinking, and no...some nudity doesn't bother me as long as it's done in good taste....I'm not really looking to get a "big break" or anything like that...just enjoy doing it and wouldn't mind making a little cash while I'm at it.  You're so right about Idaho...LOL...it's not exactly the fashion capital of the world! HA HA!  BUT...they did just pass some kind of tax law here and that means A LOT of commercial shoots, etc.  At least that's what I'm told by the casting agent that signed me for this thing tomorrow.  I also have a meeting with an agency in Boise next week...they just expanded to Idaho from Utah so hopefully that can get me more work too.  The really hard thing for me is finding a photog that will do some TSP....

May 19 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

Hi Carrie,

Welcome! I saw that you were in the Idaho section (I grew up in Boise - in NYC now).

If you get to Boise, contact a photographer named Debbie Hardy - she's pro, and amazing. Does a lot of national editorial work as well as artistic, CD covers, etc etc. So there *are* opportunities in Boise, just not as many.

She may not be able to shoot you, but she is very nice, and I'm sure would give you some advice, leads, etc etc.

Good luck - if you ever make it to NYC, look me up - I'm happy to do TFCD when I have the time (deadlines suck! lol)

May 19 06 05:13 pm Link