Forums > Critique > Dead end...

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I felt like lately my modeling career has been advancing, but I have suddenly hit a brick wall...  Anyone have any advice or honest critique for me?  Help!

Mandie

Jul 11 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

99% of the time, when something suddenly hits a brick wall, it's a result of one of two things:
- you've changed something about what you're doing and that re-balanced your situation
- you were originally working in a work-rich situation and have simply "tapped out" the niche

So, ask yourself, "have I changed anything?" and if the answer is "no" then it's time for you to start taking positive action in the direction you want to go - open yourself some new avenues and opportunities!

mjr.

Jul 11 05 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am going to put in my two cents worth and hope that many will disagree.  You will (perhaps) get an answer to your question. I used to know a photographer in Vancouver who used to (every 6 months) leave town for San Franciso or Toronto. He would get work for magazines beacuse the idea was to get him before he left. Then he would get work when he returned because he was a "fresh" new photographer in town. You launch your career put your pics in MM and or OMP and work rolls in. Then you become one of hundreds of fresh faces. Supposing you were a photo editor for a lifestyle magazine looking for a mid-20s fresh looking girl. Supposing instead of looking through MM we gave him a cull of 500 pictures. How long would it take for the art director to become colour/girl/bikine/etc blind?

Most everybody in MM seems to photograph or get photographed in one universal style a la Maxim. The key too getting work would be to be a model with a strong personal sense of style and to find a photographer with a strong personal style.  I think that if you don't do that a web porfolio becomes a visual web where everybody becomes a 4 second peacock showing theirs wares in:
1. New pics!
2. Check out my new avatar!
3. I'm bored!
4. Good morning MMers!

and so on. Remember that the US has a population base of about 300 million. Check out the internation section of MM for Argentina (30 million) for models. I think there may be 2 or 3 registered!

Jul 11 05 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I looked at your port and IMO you just need to work with better photographers.  You'd be amazed at what some of the better guys could do for your port.

Paul

Jul 11 05 04:01 pm Link