Forums > Critique > Time to judged

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Hey y'all I shot some stuff a while ago now I am finally getting my butt in here to ask.... What do you think of what I did?!?!?!

Good or bad  Say it nice or say it nasty Tell me what you think I need to do.

Ghetto round the world y'all.
Ur-bane

Jul 09 05 07:38 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Damn guess my shit is real bad..lol

Jul 09 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

girl from ghetto gets no luv,,,,,smile ,,,,or coments sad

Jul 09 05 09:55 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Oh well I tried....

Jul 09 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Your fishing expedition lead to nowhere, evident by the lack of responses. I think your images look boring and are of amatuer quality. People are beginning to save their opinions for work worth the time on commenting about?

The white balance is way off in most of the shots and there seems to be no post processing done on any of the images. I'm not sure if these things were done purposely or out of lack of knowledge, but it's a pretty good start. The first I ever took is in my portfolio right now here on MM, do you think you can find it?

I didn't just jump into a car without first being able to identify the brake and gas peddles, or knowing what the R on the stick shift meant, or how to operate a steering wheel and because I didn't know much about these things I had to do my research. Imagine if I would have just purchased a car and jumped in the drivers seat and took off - It would have been a wreck!

The same thing happens when people just pick up cameras and start pressing the shutter release button - A WRECK!

Nothing personal written here, just opinion.

Jul 09 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Thanks.  Your time given and your comments are very apprciated. Thanks again! 

Jul 09 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

I have said this over and over again, I chose not to put my work out there to be critiqued by just anyone because not everyone is going to understand my vision. So be careful who you allow to critique your work.

If there is someone who's vision is somewhere along the lines of what you have in mind, they would be your best critic.

Now I don't disagree with what EMG said, anyone who is serious about their craft should get a basic education. Lighting, white balance and all that other stuff can be taught, creativity can not.

One particular image you have stands out, the one with the candy in the plate and in the glass. a mutualy acquaintance of ours just explained the meaning. It symbolizes a struggle to get the candy from the plate to the glass and keep count all the while being bound.

In my opinion, awesome Imagery! Is the lighting the greatest, is the color right I can't tell you and even so that can be learned. But what can't be taugt is an imagination that saw that in her head and reproduced it in pixel form.

The greatest thing about art is we can redo it over and over again, until we feel it is just right.

Find a MENTOR! Hopefully someone of like mind and/or spirit that can help you perfect your art and vision. The worst thing would be to give up and walk away.

My Mentor I feel is always so harsh on me, he never seems to have a positive thing to say about my work. What I realized is I'm lucky that he doesn't because the minute he probably does ease up I would be lacked in my pursuit of always striving to become better.

Jul 09 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

YO GB,

thanks to you also for the words..I get to meet you in Aug at Primal Sweat.  I was supposed to shoot...HAHAHA but I think i'm gonna watch and just help out.  See what else I can learn.

I don't wanna give people shit for pics so I will go and assist and just keep readin

Jul 09 05 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by urban prospect: 
YO GB,

thanks to you also for the words..I get to meet you in Aug at Primal Sweat.  I was supposed to shoot...HAHAHA but I think i'm gonna watch and just help out.  See what else I can learn.

I don't wanna give people shit for pics so I will go and assist and just keep readin

You can't learn from just watching.

If that is what you choose cool, but don't stop shooting. Go buy a basic photography book and after each lesson put it into practice by going out and shoot.

Jul 09 05 03:58 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

hi ya chica,

I read what outher people have to say. I would like to see you shoot at the event.  Your technics may be off but you got a sick way of thinking  and it helps the newbies get used to the camera.  you probably should read some more then hook up with one of the experienced shooters to see what you have read in practice

Jul 11 05 09:49 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by George Butler: 
I have said this over and over again, I chose not to put my work out there to be critiqued by just anyone because not everyone is going to understand my vision. So be careful who you allow to critique your work.

Very true, some people are into art and others into fashion/comercial...two VERY different things. You seem to have good ideas and are definetly creative. The more you practice the better you will get. I don't know enough about photography to give you any advice but definetly keep up with it.

Jul 11 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

you probably should read some more then hook up with one of the experienced shooters to see what you have read in practice

I'm far from an expert, so don't hook up with me.

Seriously, you can learn a lot from watching but much more from doing.  What do you have to lose?  Film is cheap and digital is free. You've paid your fee, so take advantage of it!

Jul 11 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

i'll try some shooting hope to get some lighting help
if y'all ladies willing to help me out by posing COOL!!!

Jul 11 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Posted by Leila: 

Posted by George Butler: 

Very true, some people are into art and others into fashion/comercial...two VERY different things. You seem to have good ideas and are definetly creative. The more you practice the better you will get. I don't know enough about photography to give you any advice but definetly keep up with it.

Very true.  I'm not a pro, meaning this isn't my rent-paying job, but I like it that way.  I have the freedom to shoot what I want.  In spite of that, I can't believe how often non-commercial photographers  get slammed for not fitting the Maxim / headshot / fashion mold.  (I was just attacked on this site because one of my models was "fat"!)  So take criticism, but take it with a few grains of salt.  Consider the critic & where he's coming from.

Jul 11 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

I looked  at his work. Very solid that's why he is a pro.
I
personally am into shooting the struggle, period.  I like it when models are uncomfortable.
ya get good stuff.  uncomfotable  not hurtin...like underwwaer that creep in your ass. it bothers you but don't hurt

Jul 11 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by BarryH: 
(I was just attacked on this site because one of my models was "fat"!)

You were "attacked" for shooting a fat girl with her snatch showing.  You've got nothing that even comes close to being artistic on your port.

Paul

Jul 12 05 03:40 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Posted by BarryH:

You were "attacked" for shooting a fat girl with her snatch showing. You've got nothing that even comes close to being artistic on your port.

Paul

I won't take that too badly, considering the amount of artistic imagination you show.  Why can't a "snatch" (to use your word) be part of an artistic photograph?  I suppose you think the world would be a better place if everyone followed your example and shot cookie-cutter headshots and never varied the lighting.  (But you really show some guts with those bold background color choices!)  You say you're making a living off it though, so more power to you.

From what I've seen, a lot of people here are sick of your negativity and general nastiness.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, urban.)

Jul 12 05 06:06 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Posted by urban prospect: 
I looked  at his work. Very solid that's wht he is a pro.
I
personally am into shooting the struggle, period.  I like it when models are uncomfortable.
ya get good stuff.  uncomfotable  not hurtin...like underwwaer that creep in your ass. it bus you but don't hurt

I agree, EMG has good work.  I just meant that not everyone has the same goals.

Jul 12 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I'd like to see you shoot more than just fetish, or even models. As a photographer, I'd like to get the feeling that you like photography. You seem to be getting by easy in the critique. If you were a male, I think people would be saying you are a GWC.

Posted by BarryH: 

Posted by BarryH:

You were "attacked" for shooting a fat girl with her snatch showing. You've got nothing that even comes close to being artistic on your port.

Paul

I won't take that too badly, considering the amount of artistic imagination you show.  Why can't a "snatch" (to use your word) be part of an artistic photograph?  I suppose you think the world would be a better place if everyone followed your example and shot cookie-cutter headshots and never varied the lighting.  (But you really show some guts with those bold background color choices!)  You say you're making a living off it though, so more power to you.

From what I've seen, a lot of people here are sick of your negativity and general nastiness.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, urban.)

I'm not sick of it. Besides, you're the one who took a photo that doesn't say anything other than "I'm a B model with my labia showing." He's just giving it a little bit more color.

Jul 12 05 06:23 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

I'm not sick of it. Besides, you're the one who took a photo that doesn't say anything other than "I'm a B model with my labia showing." He's just giving it a little bit more color.

"B model" says a lot.  I'm not interested in labeling models  A, B, C or Z.  But I'm through with this particular debate.  I'll let Urb have her thread back.

Jul 12 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
I'd like to see you shoot more than just fetish, or even models. As a photographer, I'd like to get the feeling that you like photography. You seem to be getting by easy in the critique. If you were a male, I think people would be saying you are a GWC.

I actually have attempted some fashion that is how I got into the camera, got sick of seeing clothing shot in a way where it was REAL CLEAR clothing WAS NOT the focus.
Can't posted them here cuz I don't have the rights, but I want to shoot some more soon.  Well I put it out here and expect to get cussed out told off etc  but it won't make me put my camera down  or delete my port.

I admit i am a girl with camera(GWC) my only good point is I admit it and I dont fake the funk that I am a pro, hell i got weave glue in my cam bag...lol

Jul 12 05 04:07 pm Link