Forums > Newbie Forum > Ready to get seriouse about my career.

Model

Ezmey1988

San Francisco, California, US

Hello,
Im a young Minnesotan woman who is finaly ready to break out of the regular TFP shoots and finaly do some paid work.
I love traveling, so if most expenses are paid for Im in.

I dont do artistic nudes,or nudes of any sort actually. Im a minor for one thing. Number two I cant+wont do anything I wouldnt show my mother.so dont even ask please.
Otherwise I can do anything. Commercial ,Print,Runway etc etc

I am a bubbly but responsible person who is really looking to get out of the mid west.

Take a look at my port, and consider me. Contact me on MM if you are interested.
Thank You

Apr 20 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Maybe you should get seriouse about spelling first.

Apr 20 06 11:12 pm Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

I wanted to say that, and this is what it reminded me of from Family Guy

"I almost didn't, I almost didn't. I thought, 'Is this in bad taste,' but I went for it, I went for it...and I'm so glad I did...HA!"

Anyways, about your "dilemma"...I'm thinking that your port is a bit lacking, and therefore you should not rule out a bit more TFPs before asking to be paid.

Apr 20 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I agree your port seems weak. Alos when seeking paid work think about what sets you apart, as in why should I pay you instead of the thousands of other model that want paid work and will do nudes or have more exp. or dont live on the other side of the country.

Just some thoughts, wish you all the best.

Apr 20 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Nemi wrote:

Wow, that seems a little on the harsh side.  I can't say it was constructive either.  I've never given a model a spelling test before I've hired her.  And fortunately, I've never had a model ask me to take one either - since my spelling is known to be poor.  Unless the comment was aimed at professionalism and first impressions in which case it says alot. 

I do agree that her portfolio could use some work. Everyone starts somewhere.

If I was advising Karen, I'd tell her to be more selective in who she shoots with, but shoot as often as possible.  She could really work on her expressions and she needs to dump duplicate looking images and go for quality as opposed quantity.

Her question though wasn't around critiquing here portfolio.  She was asking for paid work.  Martin gave some great advise about thinking what sets her apart. I pretty much agree with that with the exception of the doesn't do nude comment.  Unless I'm looking for that, it doesn't matter.  I prefer more postive information than negative. A model that has a list of won't do's turns me off as they come across as .. . . well difficult to work with . . .

I'd suggest she watch the casting calls very closely and pounces on every "right" opportunity.  This of course means that she know and recognizes what that is when she sees it - and is ready for it and really pursues getting that work.

I'd suggest finding some local modeling events or photoshoots and attending them.  She needs to really develope a network.  I always steer work toward known models.

I'd recommend searching for photographers that have a style she likes and pursuing them.

I'd recommend practicing her poses, looks, expressions, etc every day along with working out to keep her figure.

Which all sounds like alot of really hard work.  And it is.

Finally, if she were local - I'd shoot her in a heartbeat.

Best of luck Karen.

Apr 21 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nemi wrote:

This comment rates a solid 3 ha's out of 5.

Apr 21 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Nemi wrote:

Oh.  Shoot, I thought it was French!

Apr 21 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

As someone else already said your port is kinda weak for paid shoots. 
I think this way as a photographer.  If I pay a model she needs to show me that
she knows how to work with the camera and has a wide range of looks she
can pull off.  If its the old stare into the headlights pose or the usual stuff
I see from most of the models then I wouldn't pull my check book out.

Apr 21 06 12:11 pm Link