Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > best drugstore cosmetics brand

Model

ElleV

San Antonio, Texas, US

I dont know how to apply mousse foundation, sorry.  You should try to get an MUA that will do a tf shoot with you.

Mar 20 09 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Mar 20 09 07:14 pm Link

Model

allie catherine

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

thanks!

Mar 20 09 07:18 pm Link

Model

Amy Kitt

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but smashbox has a set called blockbuster,(I think it's only available around the Christmas season,so look for it next year) but it has about 80 little eye color, 60 lip colors and 6 blushes. It's about $50. I got it last year and I love love love it.  It's obviously great quality, at a great price, I have found it a great little starter kit as a model. Sorry this won't help immediately, but somthing to keep in mind.

Mar 20 09 08:37 pm Link

Model

allie catherine

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

that sounds amazing! ill be eagerly awaiting its arrival...

Mar 20 09 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cordial Lee MUA

Houston, Texas, US

allie catherine wrote:
so I went and got maybelline dream matte mousse foundation and blush, milani eyebrow kit, and loreal HIP eyeshadow...

I usually never wear foundation, and if I do its just Bare Minerals so I was wondering how to apply the mousse foundation.  Sponge?  Please help!  My shoot is tomorrow and it's basically my first shoot ever.  (So nervous/excited!)

Bare Minerals causes a nasty glare/reflection when used on shoots with full frame cameras and studio lights.

For the mousse foundation, you can apply it with your hands/fingers, or a sponge/foundation brush.

Mar 20 09 08:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cordial Lee MUA

Houston, Texas, US

Smashbox also makes tons of beauty kits that come with tons of goodies.

There's one at Ulta right now that's new, it has an eyeshadow and cream liner palette, blush/soft lights duo, double-ended lip gloss, a travel size of their primer, and a blush brush.

I think they still have their On in 5 Kit too that has a mascara, liner, lipgloss, soft lights palette, and a full size primer.

Both those I think run about $47-$49.

And there's one more kit from there that Ulta has, it's about $29, it's a cream liner palette that also has brow powders and wax, an angled brush, lip gloss, and their under eye brightner.

Mar 20 09 08:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cordial Lee MUA

Houston, Texas, US

Sian Melton wrote:

It's basically just a cream with air whipped into it to make it lighter. Use a brush or a sponge to apply it. Start in the center of your face where you need the most coverage and blend out. Start off with less and build for more coverage just where you need it.

Good luck!

They also just came out with a liquid version too, if the mousse gives you too much trouble, you might want to try the liquid one.

Mar 20 09 08:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Josie Collorafi

Nanuet, New York, US

Cecilia model wrote:
does any use ELF?
http://www.eyeslipsface.com/

Yes but only on myself. I couldn't resist everything $1. I only used them once and by the end of the day I had makeup under my eyes. But I'm going to try to figure out a different use for them. They are pretty pigmented for $1 eyeshadow.

Mar 24 09 09:29 pm Link

Model

Chikascorner

Baltimore, Maryland, US

smashbox palette sale is on ....just fyi

Nov 20 10 04:20 pm Link

Model

Chikascorner

Baltimore, Maryland, US

just found a vid on youtube too...hummm off my list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnvplUkKBf4

Nov 20 10 04:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NYX
NYX
NYX
NYX

Nov 20 10 09:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

FabulousYou Makeup

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

NYX, Coastal Scents, L.A. Colours, Jordana.....But NYX is the best by far.  Go to cherryculture.com

Nov 21 10 03:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Flora D Thetty

Rangoon, Rangoon, Myanmar (Burma)

Jordan Liberty wrote:

Maybelline makes good brow powder, believe it or not.

Yes! Maybelline brow powder is awesome! smile
I would suggest NYX and L'Oreal HIP eyeshadows too.

Nov 21 10 03:29 am Link

Photographer

A Life in Color

Menominee, Michigan, US

I use Maybelline's Dream Liquid Mousse and Pressed Powder. Loooooveeee themmmm.... Cheap mascara, I love Rimmel's Sexy Curves. Cheap as hell and awesomeeee

ETA I apply the foundation with my fingers and the powder with the included little spongy thingie.

Nov 24 10 09:50 am Link

Photographer

GlamourProductionsPhoto

Detroit, Michigan, US

Besides the ones everyone has already listed, Wal-Mart has a line called CQ and they are dirt cheap but suprisingly pigmented. I love their eyeshadows particularly and theit lipsticks have a great texture. There is also a beauty supply brand called NK that has these "HD Eyeshadows". Best $1.36 spent, lol.

Nov 24 10 10:55 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

In my own personal kit, for when I can't find an MUAH (99% of the time) I can afford-

Revlon Visible Lift in their absolute lightest shade for using as primer under my eyes and over any uneven spots- I dab it on lightly with a clean sponge and blend out.

Dream Matte Mousse foundation in Natural Ivory.   I bring it out of the pot with a clean brush, then blend out with a sponge.

Airspun loose powder in Neutral and Translucent.

L'Oreal HIP eyeshadows.  Not the cream liner- it's crap, dries out and is useless after a couple times of being opened.  Applies great on the first time, though, so it you wanted to use it to paint on tattoos or something and use it all in one go it might work. 

I have the cream eyeshadows from HIP in the palest range of shades- I tend to use them as a base, then apply my eyeshadow over it.  helps the wear time- which is already pretty amazing.

A note on the HIPs- you can use them wet!  And they work amazingly well that way- especially the mettalics.  I can get amazing foil-look metallic looks out of the gold and the metallic silver.  However, if you use them dry they have a LOT of fall-off.  I tend to have to put my eyeshadow on before I do my foundation, because even with the loose powder under my eyes, they still make a mess.  And I tap my brushes out and use very small amounts to build intensity- the fall-off is just weird. *shrugs*  The Diamond line is the worst for it.

Maybelline Dream Matte Cream blush... love this stuff so damn much.  They actually have colors that make me glow, not look like a hooker, and they are so light and easy to use.  Again, I take it from the pot with a clean brush and then blend with a sponge.

Wet and Wild actually has some sheer lip stains I really like.  I do have to reapply their lipsticks a bit more than is ideal, but they stay really soft and moist.  My mouth is the bane of my face, so I pretty much just despair of ever getting it perfect.  Damned thin crooked lips..

I like the Maybelline waterproof liquid liners.  They last freaking forever.  Hard to get off, though.

I buy a new mascara every month, usually just whatever looks like fun.  I tend to have a lot of issues with my eyelashes/eyes/tearducts in the first place, so I like to not let crap build up in my tube.  I toss it once a month and buy a new one for between 1-4 bucks. 

I stock up on fantasy lashes at Halloween, and tend to buy DS brands if I need more.  Just remember to cut them down so they fit properly, or you spend the whole shoot wanting to gouge out your eyes because the irritation is so bad.

Nov 24 10 02:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

B Ludwig wrote:
I love Maybelline mascaras. Thats all I use for shoots and I love when they have the buy one get one free deals. I stock up my kit.

Exactly this! big_smile I love that the price point allows me to give a mascara to each client, as well.

Edit: Crap, sorry. Was searching and didn't realize I'd just zombied a thread. x-P

Feb 09 16 09:12 am Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

NYX and ELF

Feb 13 16 07:42 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

We have a local brand called Ever Bilena.  I also love Revlon liquid foundations.  They have a photo ready line that is good too.

Max Factor when I get to the USA

One of my favorites is Sephora but my budget usually can't afford it.
When in LA I get MUD.  It's a big named brand there but hard to find here.

Feb 14 16 02:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

Maybelline for foundation and brow pencils, nyx for the eyes... if you are on a very tight budget the elf brushes aren't the most amazing but will do the job. If you had to invest in only quality brushes or only quality makeup i would get quality brushes. Technique and application can take you farther than top of the line products

Jun 06 16 09:00 pm Link

Model

Jacquelyn Marie

Boston, Massachusetts, US

**I'm an MUA**

-Loreal voluminous mascara ( one of the best, period)
-Maybelline colossal mascara
-Loreal True Match liquid foundation
-Most Revlon lipsticks
-NYX
-Revlon photo ready products
-Cover Girl color corrector sticks (they look like lipstick packaging)
-Loral true match blush
-Milani blushes
-Physcian's Formula shimmer bricks as highlighter or subtle glow
-Ardell Demi wispy false lashes
-Albolene makeup remover
-Loreal telescopic liquid liner
-Rimmel lipgloss and lip liner is great too! Favorite liner shades are (Addiction and Tiramisu). They hold up next to my high end ones.
-Some E.L.F. Brushes are nice so it doesn't hurt to buy some of those.

Also I know this answer is a bit late, but to apply mousse foundation you can use a damp beauty blender sponge (or regular triangle sponge) or even your fingers for small areas. I wouldn't use fingers for the whole face because the color will oxidize and turn darker. A regular foundation brush would world as well.

Jun 18 16 12:51 am Link