Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Where do you find chaps?

Model

Betcee

Los Angeles, California, US

Over the next couple months I have several western themed assignments being shot in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.  I am really having a hard time finding women's chaps (and other western wear) - the actual rugged cowgirl variety... all I seem to come across is black vinyl designed for strippers or the Harley motorcycle variety.  Any suggestions? (besides ebay - I've looked).
Betcee May

Feb 16 06 05:33 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're looking for the real kind go to where ever they sell real boots, real hats (eg both straw and felt, and steam them to shape them), and they should have chaps or know where to refer you too... If you're in a truly rural area you can ask the oldest feedstore there where you should go

You can also search online... http://www.statelinetack.com/global/bro … 0133149424

First site that came up in google

Feb 16 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Betcee:
Yup, you are right.  They are VERY hard to find.  You might check with the Pro Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) to see if someone there might know where the cowboys get theirs.  I suspect they are custom made and quite expensive.  My shot of Shaylene in chaps is a custom made pair I had done many years ago by a master leather maker.  Be prepared to pay many hundreds of dollars for a good pair.
Bob Aldridge

Feb 16 06 05:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

google horseback riding supplies, look up your local tack store. anything to do with horses and you will find all different styles and prices.

HTH!!

Mary

Feb 17 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

BlueTree Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Most of the chaps I've met have been from England.  Of course, I've met a few blokes from there as well.

Feb 17 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

They are actually VERY easy to find!

Also do you know the difference between "chaps" and "chinks",
"working chaps" vs "riding chaps" vs "cutting chaps" vs "batwing chaps"?

Buckskin, dearskin, suede, basic, or hand tooled leather?

It is kind of like saying "I need a camera".

You are going into cowboy country right..... most of the local herders will have them... as well anyone that does "trail rides" will have them... or know others that do.

The small valley where we have our family horse ranch has most every high school girl with chaps.

As well many of these girls work as trainers... and thus always have chaps!

If you are going to Las Vegas... you might not find them... but if going to Fallon or Winnimucca... you can't miss them!  Chances are any ranches you want to shoot at, will also have connections to people that will help out.  The girls in our valley actually have spurs on their boots MOST of the time too!!!

Find someone with an old dirty cowboy hat.... ask them.

Also any smalll town tack and feed supply will have them too!

-SB

ps... how hard did you look????:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I … tern+chaps

Feb 17 06 08:06 pm Link