Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Tips for shooting in black and white.

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

Can anyone give me some pointers.
Thanks

Feb 15 06 07:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

use pinks and warm browns. this is a picture from when i was in school, so they are not really representative of the work I do now, but here it is in black and white and in color.

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/rrdesimone/MUD/mud25a.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/rrdesimone/MUD%20PHOTOSHOOT/mudshootbw20.jpg

Feb 15 06 07:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Yup- Remember its more a bout shading, highlights, and conture ( I cant spell- therefor I paint!)

Feb 15 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

It's essentially all about light and shadow. The colors won't really matter. If you are planning on using colors, try to imagine them in shades of grey. Also, keep in mind that any neutral colors that are close to the foundation color will not show up, since they are the same lightness as the foundation.

When I do black and white, I tend to exaggerate everything. I did my friend for a b&w shoot and she thought she looked like a hooker at the end, especially with the contour I had under her cheekbone. She turned out looking very nice, though. She couldn't believe how the shots turned out.

If you have a digital camera that has a b&w setting, bring it with you to snap a few quick shots to look at on the screen. You'll be surprised how different everything looks.

ex-oh
Siân

PS - if you are planning on using anything with glitter or sparkle, remember that the reflections of the product will show as grey or white, not color.

Feb 16 06 12:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well keep in mind that some shades of blush will appear as a streek of grey across the cheeks it wont look well, and also keep in mind red lips look great in colour but they go black in black and white
Sian had it right about the glitter and what not, it will just creat hot spots and thse my or may not look right in the end smile

Feb 16 06 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Also take into account the color temperature of the light you'll be shooting in or the white balance and light source the photographer is using. Warm lights around 2800 to 3200k (yellowish/incandescent) will tend to lower overall contrast in the final image. Cooler lights, well above 5000k (blue"ish"/open shade if outside) will tend to raise contrast in the images.

Dramatic examples can be found in photo books when colored filters are used when exposing b/w film. Notice the difference when comparing no filter to a cool filter (blue) and how red lips look in the final images.  (Google it, i'm sure it's online somewhere, i should be sleeping :-) ! )

Chat up the photographers to become familiar with their lighting. Your results will become more predictable over time.

bt

Feb 16 06 02:54 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Too tired to find the super correct place to post this but this link might help.
http://www.makeup411.com/

Mac has one and Mary's site is great also.

I or someone else should start a thread on great styling pages where last minute advice can be obtained.

Feb 17 06 12:48 am Link