Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > lighting and background for clothes shoot

Clothing Designer

Virginia Marie Designs

ive come to a point in my career where i really want to put together a profession looking portfolio of my clothing designs.

however, im clueless on what to do about background and lighting, flat looks too boring to me, and i have no access to studios so could anybody suggest make shift backgrounds etc that wouldnt detract from clothes? thanks in advance smile

Feb 08 06 12:23 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Virginia Marie Designs

sorry wrong place i dont know how to delete it?

Feb 08 06 12:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you photographing them as well?
Why not just get a photographer that needs clothing for a shoot and do a little TFP?

Feb 08 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'd agree with the above.  Your best bet is to find a photographer and a model to share some time with.  Most of us photographers enjoy finding a stylist that will do a trade shoot.  If you tell the photog what you're looking for, he should be able to help you stay away from a too-boring background.  If you work together, the three of you should walk away from the shoot with some good material.

Besides, if you're not worrying about the lighting 'n camera 'n such, you can spend your energy making sure the clothing looks right.

Feb 08 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I was wondering that myself.  Each situation is different but the lighting should model the fabric a little.  Backgrounds should be of compliment or neutral color.  You would be well advised to seek out a qualified photographer.

Feb 08 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

if you want better pictures without hiring a real photographer, follow my instructions. get a friend who has a digital SLR camera and tell them to do this:

take the pictures outside at sunset.  tell him s/he must use a telephoto lens set at a low fstop number. make sure the background is far away.  snap away. 

tell him/her to burn the cd.  upload the pictures onto your computer. 

go to photoshop. open up your picture. select image>adjustments>auto levels. that should correct the white balance of the picture which will originally be orange because your friend took it at sunset.  downsize the picture to a web quality size, go to filters>sharpen>unsharp mask and set it at .3 pixel at 80%. your pictures should be better.

don't try to shoot studio by yourself, it's very difficult to come up with good results if you don't know what you're doing. or you can fly down over to orange county, and i'll take your pictures for free just because i'm bored and have nothing to do

Feb 10 06 11:22 pm Link