Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm really just ranting so it's ok to move along but I am so sick of testing. I know that it's a neccessary evil to get my book together but I had THREE shoots last week. THREE!! Ok, I DID get some decent photos out of it so at least there's that but I have to supply wardrobe because god forbid the models should and meanwhile I'm otherwise unemployed and can't afford to keep my phone and lights on. Someone PLEASE tell me it gets better. Please?!?!?!

Feb 07 06 01:02 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I feel your pain.

Feb 07 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
...but I have to supply wardrobe because god forbid the models should...

Aren't you a wardrobe stylist?

Feb 07 06 01:10 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Aren't you a wardrobe stylist?

wow, I didn't even notice that one....now I'm confused.

Feb 07 06 01:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah, hence the comment about supplying wardrobe. Why? At this point I haven't made connections that will alow me to pull wardrobe. That bit is in the works, but you can't rush these things.

I kind of got the impression that I had to do this for free for a REALLY long time in order to someday MAYBE get paid. It's just REALLY wearing on me that I work three or four hours at the shortest and in some cases ten hours and up sometimes with no food or bathroom breaks and I end up in the hole because I have to supply everything. It'd be nice to get tipped or something especially in the cases where the model is signed with someone. I guess it's a karmic thing. It's one thing to work a low paying job getting paid peanuts and getting yelled at but completely another to work with models who yell at me or refuse wardrobe, or do their hair in a way that I don't like or have to be nursemaided through the entire shoot and not even get a dime at the end of a LOOOONG tiring day

Feb 07 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I truly feel your pain. I go through similar from the photographer side. But this is my hobby and not how I pay the bills, so I can keep things in perspective. I do wish you success though...FWIW

Feb 07 06 01:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Tipped for testing???  Man I love the internet. 

Maybe you should try working as an assistant stylist first.

Feb 07 06 01:32 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Tipped for testing???  Man I love the internet. 

Maybe you should try working as an assistant stylist first.

Funny. Maybe if I knew of any in town TO ASSIST I might do that, but seeing as this is portland and not new york or la or some other great big market I'm stuck and left to my own devices. I'm working my ass off for ten hours without a break sometimes, lugging large amounts of clothes to locations that I often have to pay to get to. I'm not saying I EXPECT anything. I fully expect to get treated like shit and I'm not dissapointed. It's just wearing on me, that's all. Am I not ALLOWED to be frustrated with working VERY HARD for NO money and ending up in the red. I'm not asking for money, just lamenting how much of the very little I have goes into this for no discernable reward.

Feb 07 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

SpreePhotos

New York, New York, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
Yeah, hence the comment about supplying wardrobe. Why? At this point I haven't made connections that will alow me to pull wardrobe. That bit is in the works, but you can't rush these things.

I kind of got the impression that I had to do this for free for a REALLY long time in order to someday MAYBE get paid. It's just REALLY wearing on me that I work three or four hours at the shortest and in some cases ten hours and up sometimes with no food or bathroom breaks and I end up in the hole because I have to supply everything. It'd be nice to get tipped or something especially in the cases where the model is signed with someone. I guess it's a karmic thing. It's one thing to work a low paying job getting paid peanuts and getting yelled at but completely another to work with models who yell at me or refuse wardrobe, or do their hair in a way that I don't like or have to be nursemaided through the entire shoot and not even get a dime at the end of a LOOOONG tiring day

Wow. That really sucks. Personally, I think you should move in another direction. This testing stuff is just that... testing. Demand what you are worth, or you will always find yourself in the same position. I would find a good photog I can work with, so I can get paid for my styling.

Feb 07 06 01:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

Funny. Maybe if I knew of any in town TO ASSIST I might do that, but seeing as this is portland and not new york or la or some other great big market I'm stuck and left to my own devices. I'm working my ass off for ten hours without a break sometimes, lugging large amounts of clothes to locations that I often have to pay to get to. I'm not saying I EXPECT anything. I fully expect to get treated like shit and I'm not dissapointed. It's just wearing on me, that's all. Am I not ALLOWED to be frustrated with working VERY HARD for NO money and ending up in the red. I'm not asking for money, just lamenting how much of the very little I have goes into this for no discernable reward.

I did notice Mode Models on www.modelwire.com saying that they rep artists as well as models.  If you haven't already you might want to check with them about getting on the assistants list.   At least assisting you can make some money and connections in the industry so you won't end up bitter about testing.

Feb 07 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
Maybe if I knew of any in town TO ASSIST I might do that, but seeing as this is portland and not new york or la or some other great big market I'm stuck and left to my own devices.

I'm likely speaking out of total ignorance on the topic, but...

...if you develop a good portfolio and reputation for yourself, couldn't this work in your favor? If the pickins are slim in your area, the moment you get a whiff of popularity in your general direction, I would imagine you could start using it to your advantage (i.e. money), no?

Feb 07 06 02:02 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Nihilus wrote:
...if you develop a good portfolio and reputation for yourself, couldn't this work in your favor? If the pickins are slim in your area, the moment you get a whiff of popularity in your general direction, I would imagine you could start using it to your advantage (i.e. money), no?

Yes, That's what I'm banking on. Maybe I'm misusing the word testing. One of my shoots this past week netted some good shots and the one day before yesterday looks like it might have gotten some good ones. For now I'm sitting on a lot of photos and want to add more to the nest. When I get a bunch stocked up I'll have them looked over by the photographers, the other stylist and the designer I know and have them help me pick which ones to have printed up, wherepon I will make the rounds to the agencies here in town. I don't need to be rich and famous or anything but it'd be nice to not worry about how I'm going to keep the lights on and to be able to have a few nice things in life and not have to scour secondhand shops for cheap interesting looking wardrobe to take to shoots because being as I'm unemployed, I can't even buy and return stuff, which I don't like doing anyway because it just feels icky and dishonest.

Feb 07 06 02:35 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
I did notice Mode Models on www.modelwire.com saying that they rep artists as well as models.  If you haven't already you might want to check with them about getting on the assistants list.   At least assisting you can make some money and connections in the industry so you won't end up bitter about testing.

Thanks. I did a little phonebook online search. I skipped past the modelling schools and googled everything to make sure it wasn't a scam and came up with four good leads counting mode. If nothing else I can take my book by and get a foot in the door maybe. I really only know of one other stylist in town so it's vital to make connections like this. Here in Portland basically every fashion event is through something called semper fashion and basically all of the local designers are involved as well. I talked briefly with the guy in charge of it and in the absence of stylists here in town,  I was told that I would be " passed around like a doobie at a dead show". Nice visual there, but I really need the experience and connections.

edit: I looked on mode's site and didn't see anything about an assistants list or even anything about repping for stylists or artists but did see that they had internships where the interns assisted with styling and whatnot. Seeing as I am not in fact a student, that particular lead might not pan out. Still going to try though.

Feb 07 06 03:02 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Not the first time you rant, but let's be constructive.

1) Pulling clothes - I, as a photographer, have no problem pulling clothes.  Either 1) use your credit card, get your clothes and return them or 2) go around the area (for you, the Hawthorn district), talk to the boutiques owners and see who is interested to have their clothing items shot.  You have a wonderful group of boutiques in Portland and most people there are very very friendly; that's my first hand experience, I used to live there.

2) Getting paid - As soon as you present yourself as a valuable asset to whoever may hire a stylist and you have made the right contact, you will get paid.  That will take a long time.  My stylists here took about two to three years to get their books together while working a dayjob in retail (selling cosmetics etc).  I have never heard them whine.  They just quietly did the right things, put things together and hit their goals.  If you are not paying your bills, consider getting a dayjob.  I talked to Jim Donald (Starbucks CEO) three weeks ago, they offer really good employment and full benefits, together with a flexible schedule that most artists can work around.  Consider that.  Or Macy's or Nordstrom are always looking for people (Nordstrom is also a good place to work).

The most qualified person to advise you on this thread would be Ashley (hi Ashley!), so listen and see what she has to say.  Just look at her book.

Also, honestly, if you keep giving out these negative attitude, which photographer who really could help you would you think would like to work with you?  As a stylist, you will be working with creative teams.  You are doing an extremely personal service (dressing someone), which means you, as a person, is part of the package.  I don't know who you are, and you may be an absolute sweet person in person (and I would not doubt that you are), but the air you are giving out around here isn't really going to help you find yourself a paying job.

Best of luck to you...

Feb 07 06 03:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

lll wrote:
Not the first time you rant, but let's be constructive.

1) Pulling clothes - I, as a photographer, have no problem pulling clothes.  Either 1) use your credit card, get your clothes and return them or 2) go around the area (for you, the Hawthorn district), talk to the boutiques owners and see who is interested to have their clothing items shot.  You have a wonderful group of boutiques in Portland and most people there are very very friendly; that's my first hand experience, I used to live there.

2) Getting paid - As soon as you present yourself as a valuable asset to whoever may hire a stylist and you have made the right contact, you will get paid.  That will take a long time.  My stylists here took about two to three years to get their books together while working a dayjob in retail (selling cosmetics etc).  I have never heard them whine.  They just quietly did the right things, put things together and hit their goals.  If you are not paying your bills, consider getting a dayjob.  I talked to Jim Donald (Starbucks CEO) three weeks ago, they offer really good employment and full benefits, together with a flexible schedule that most artists can work around.  Consider that.  Or Macy's or Nordstrom are always looking for people (Nordstrom is also a good place to work).

The most qualified person to advise you on this thread would be Ashley (hi Ashley!), so listen and see what she has to say.  Just look at her book.

Also, honestly, if you keep giving out these negative attitude, which photographer who really could help you would you think would like to work with you?  As a stylist, you will be working with creative teams.  You are doing an extremely personal service (dressing someone), which means you, as a person, is part of the package.  I don't know who you are, and you may be an absolute sweet person in person (and I would not doubt that you are), but the air you are giving out around here isn't really going to help you find yourself a paying job.

Best of luck to you...

I know where the Hawthorne District is, seeing as I can throw a rock and hit it from my apartment. I am WORN OUT and want to stop laboring for free, but realise that I won't be able to. As for liking working with me, EVERYONE I've worked with likes working with me. They all say so and I would see no reason for lying about it. I can produce references. I also HAVE no credit card. I don't feel it prudent seeing as I am in fact unemployed and have next to no income. It's by the grace of god that I'm not homeless. Consider getting a day job. That's funny. I spend most of my time TRYING to get a damn day job, or a night job or an anything job for that matter. Please don't condescend to me because I'm having a really hard time just keeping my head above water. I send my pathetic resume out every day and don't even get a call back most of the time. I'm uncomfortable being agressive because I don't want to force myself where I am unwanted. I would love to get a job but noone WANTS TO HIRE ME. There isn't a heck of a lot I can do about that and It's really hard to think that you're worth anything when the only regular work you get is very hard and completely unpaid to boot.

Thanks for trying to help. I know you don't think Appreciate it but I do.
I don't mean to be harsh, but I get very frustrated.

Feb 07 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
I'm really just ranting so it's ok to move along but I am so sick of testing. I know that it's a neccessary evil to get my book together but I had THREE shoots last week. THREE!! Ok, I DID get some decent photos out of it so at least there's that but I have to supply wardrobe because god forbid the models should and meanwhile I'm otherwise unemployed and can't afford to keep my phone and lights on. Someone PLEASE tell me it gets better. Please?!?!?!

Any idea how many tests I've done in my lifetime? Any guesses? Hmmm???? (And people wonder why I have so damn little patience for most stylists...) Gotta learn to crawl before you learn to fly anyhow.

Oh and Ashley's right about assisting by the way. Best advice you'll probably get on this whole board.

Feb 07 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

I know where the Hawthorne District is, seeing as I can throw a rock and hit it from my apartment. I am WORN OUT and want to stop laboring for free, but realise that I won't be able to.

so have you established relationships with these boutiques or not?  something doesn't smell right here - stylists go pro faster than photographers, models, make-up artists, etc.  what is your method for getting clothes?

Feb 07 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Any idea how many tests I've done in my lifetime? Any guesses? Hmmm???? (And people wonder why I have so damn little patience for most stylists...)

i'm glad i'm not alone in the no-patience-for-stylists department.

Feb 07 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Testing! Only sucks if eith you as the artist or photographer doesn't go into a project with some strong idea or just sit and shoot because the model is pretty. YOU need to storyboard ideas and talk with those you are working with to come   up sith solid ideas before putting on any makeup or styling anything clothing or scouting locations or props.....just shooting from the hip only gains you that one magical shot and is it worth that one shot.

Feb 07 06 05:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's about paying dues, true you are not getting paid but you are building up your book, I think...wait I know we have all done it, models, photographers, makeup artist & stylists- but the key is work with what you got and use it to the best of your ability, I haven't always had a makeup & tool kit worth $4000+ but had to build up to it, at least you can re-use your clothing in a different way or charge a kit fee for styling..., with makeup it has to be replenished so you are somewhat lucky. I feel your pain, but it's part of the business and when you feel that you have your look and style and book togehter just say no or be selective about test (tfp's)...Good luck.

Miss Anthropy wrote:

Feb 07 06 05:46 am Link

Model

synesthetic

Seattle, Washington, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

i would look harder if you really do want to assist, because there is actually A LOT of photography going on there. maybe not new york style, but for example Fatalbeauty.com is based out of there, with most of its models in the pdx area. furthermore you are in between seattle and cali, both HUGE areas for photography, and stylist, and the like. maybe take an extended trip in either, work for a few months under someone else, and come back with an amazing portfolio. do commission work in either of the cites, etc. there are a lot of options that im sure you could find if you look around a bit. smile

Feb 07 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AlexAlexander/Moderator wrote:
Testing! Only sucks if eith you as the artist or photographer doesn't go into a project with some strong idea or just sit and shoot because the model is pretty. YOU need to storyboard ideas and talk with those you are working with to come   up sith solid ideas before putting on any makeup or styling anything clothing or scouting locations or props.....just shooting from the hip only gains you that one magical shot and is it worth that one shot.

DING! DING! DING!  You win the smart/attitude prize!!!  If the stylist and photographer are working TOGETHER there will be NO QUESTION about the model refusing wardrobe, because the items will be presented by a united front with enthusiasm, and a sharing of vision with the model, who should be made to feel EXCITED about the idea. 
  Yeah, it gets old working fro free--but it's the same I tell models who expect me pay them...Your pay is the photos....I assume you're working with a specific photographer or two.  Put a bug in their ear to suggest to the model how hard you are working, and perhaps a few dollars wouldn't be out of line. 
  If you can't find some love for what you're doing, you're going to resent it, and burn out quickly.

Feb 07 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

GregBrown wrote:

If you can't find some love for what you're doing, you're going to resent it, and burn out quickly.

Feb 07 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Timeless Photos wrote:

GregBrown wrote:

Very well said Greg.

My goodness, I spent hundreds of dollars on models wardrobe myself as a photographer. I have over 400 pieces at the model's disposal. Do I ever get a thank-you for this? Nope. Nadda one. Some are kind enough to put the clothes back on the hangers. Others just leave them in a big heap on the floor. -lol-

Model photography on a TFP basis is the only photography I do that does not generate income. If money was my goal, I can shoot a wedding any Saturday I want for a G-Note.

Very few models, photographers or stylist will ever generate money here. That's just a fact of life.

Love what you do!

Feb 07 06 07:29 am Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

I always at least offer my mua a tip if I cant afford to pay their whole fee.

Feb 07 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

BQueenGirl wrote:
I always at least offer my mua a tip if I cant afford to pay their whole fee.

How come nobody tips photographers? wink

Feb 07 06 08:17 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

Unfortunately it takes money to make money. Its the simple science that is business. Do you work another job in addition to styling? If you are not, I suggest you do. Something part time with a flexable schedule may help with your expenses.

When it comes to styling you need to learn how to use your resources wisely. Contact designers letting them know you are interested in collaborating, go to your local thrift stores and look for awesome finds (I've found Dior, Lacoste, amongst other designer labels), and try a place like Platos closet (the name brand exchange for clothing) to buy and sale clothing.

When you are testing maybe you should come up with a rate to atleast cover your gas and some of your time. That way you'll be getting some compensation.

As for the refusal of wardrobe...ummm I don't know who you are working with, but they need to check their attitudes at the door. If you are just shooting as the stylist who no concept in mind (per the crew involved), you need to let them know that they get what you bring. This should be apart of your initial conversation. If you have to shop for a certain concept, then maybe you need to look into compensation.

Personal note: I've been doing this for sometime now, and all of my hard work is really starting to pay off. Sometime I learned to just suck it up and go with the flow because I knew the dedication and determination would pay off. When you get frustrated you get thrown off track. If you are doing what you want to do, make it work. This just isn't a creative outlet for me, its a business...and business make money.

Good Luck,
T.

Feb 07 06 09:56 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
I know where the Hawthorne District is, seeing as I can throw a rock and hit it from my apartment. I am WORN OUT and want to stop laboring for free, but realise that I won't be able to. As for liking working with me, EVERYONE I've worked with likes working with me. They all say so and I would see no reason for lying about it. I can produce references. I also HAVE no credit card. I don't feel it prudent seeing as I am in fact unemployed and have next to no income. It's by the grace of god that I'm not homeless. Consider getting a day job. That's funny. I spend most of my time TRYING to get a damn day job, or a night job or an anything job for that matter. Please don't condescend to me because I'm having a really hard time just keeping my head above water. I send my pathetic resume out every day and don't even get a call back most of the time. I'm uncomfortable being agressive because I don't want to force myself where I am unwanted. I would love to get a job but noone WANTS TO HIRE ME. There isn't a heck of a lot I can do about that and It's really hard to think that you're worth anything when the only regular work you get is very hard and completely unpaid to boot.

With this said, maybe you should consider putting styling on hold to take care of your personal business. Your livelihood is very important and it seems that the stresses of life are effecting you in a major way.

You gotta make it work and things will happen for you. It just takes time. Just don't lose your drive.

***LOSE YOUR DRIVE THAT IS smile

Feb 07 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

T.Alexander wrote:

Miss Anthropy wrote:
You gotta make it work and things will happen for you. It just takes time. Just don't use your drive.

Good point! Whe I used to race motorcyles and I tried too hard, I crashed. Another emore experienced driver told me "Go at a pace that is fast but not over your head. The race track will eventually come-to-you!"

Same advice here folks. Do want you can comfortably handle. Anything more and you will burn out and go down in flames. Nobody will even know or care you are gone. Look after yourself first!

Feb 07 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Timeless Photos wrote:

T.Alexander wrote:

Miss Anthropy wrote:
You gotta make it work and things will happen for you. It just takes time. Just don't use your drive.

Good point! Whe I used to race motorcyles and I tried too hard, I crashed. Another more experienced driver told me "Go at a pace that is fast for you but not over your head. The race track will eventually come-to-you!"

Same advice here folks. Do want you can comfortably handle. Anything more and you will burn out and go down in flames. Nobody will even know or care you are gone. Look after yourself first!

Why am I all of a sudden getting double boxes on my responces? sad

Feb 07 06 10:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

it costs everybody money when they start out in the business. my make-up kit is probably worth close to 8 grand and i paid another 8 grand to go to make-up school. not to mention all the work related expenses i have occured.

becoming a freelance artist is just like starting any other business... it takes capital. being a make-up artist supplements my income and my husband is the one who supports the both of us for the most part.

if you are having trouble keeping the lights on... perhaps you should get a part time job for a while to get by. even when you are a paid artist there are always dry seasons. i work at banana republic when im not doing makeup and my manager is a pretty well known make-up artist who has like 5 big clients and just got sick of the inconsistency. a lot of artists have to moonlight to get by.

as far as being upset about testing, i understand being upset about working for free, but paying clients are going to have a hard time hiring on a stylist who has no ability to pull clothes. i have been to portland before, there are a lot of cool art types there... i bet if you searched the internet or immersed yourself in the art culture there you could find a new designer or two to work with.

i also agree with what the photographer above said, stylists go pro super fast. I live in LA, the town that is insanely oversaturated with everything industry related and wardrobe stylists are in high demand. they get work faster than ANYBODY else in this town- seriously straight out of school they make money.

but if you really feel like portland is a black hole... maybe consider relocating.

Feb 07 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

rachelrose wrote:
it costs everybody money when they start out in the business. my make-up kit is probably worth close to 8 grand and i paid another 8 grand to go to make-up school. not to mention all the work related expenses i have occured.

becoming a freelance artist is just like starting any other business... it takes capital. being a make-up artist supplements my income and my husband is the one who supports the both of us for the most part.

if you are having trouble keeping the lights on... perhaps you should get a part time job for a while to get by. even when you are a paid artist there are always dry seasons. i work at banana republic when im not doing makeup and my manager is a pretty well known make-up artist who has like 5 big clients and just got sick of the inconsistency. a lot of artists have to moonlight to get by.

as far as being upset about testing, i understand being upset about working for free, but paying clients are going to have a hard time hiring on a stylist who has no ability to pull clothes. i have been to portland before, there are a lot of cool art types there... i bet if you searched the internet or immersed yourself in the art culture there you could find a new designer or two to work with.

i also agree with what the photographer above said, stylists go pro super fast. I live in LA, the town that is insanely oversaturated with everything industry related and wardrobe stylists are in high demand. they get work faster than ANYBODY else in this town- seriously straight out of school they make money.

but if you really feel like portland is a black hole... maybe consider relocating.

Wow... I very interesting and informative read. I think I'll trade in my camera for a sewing machine! smile

Feb 07 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I love testing.

Feb 07 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
I know where the Hawthorne District is, seeing as I can throw a rock and hit it from my apartment. I am WORN OUT and want to stop laboring for free, but realise that I won't be able to. As for liking working with me, EVERYONE I've worked with likes working with me. They all say so and I would see no reason for lying about it. I can produce references.

Why am I not surprised to see this response?  Oh well.  No wonder why no one who would pay money would work with you.

...Consider getting a day job. That's funny. I spend most of my time TRYING to get a damn day job, or a night job or an anything job for that matter. Please don't condescend to me because I'm having a really hard time just keeping my head above water...

Condescending?  I gave you a solid advice to get you money and suggestion to a well-paid job with good benefits (Starbucks pays above market rate and offer full benefits).  How is telling you to get a dayjob condescending?  WTF.  I have a dayjob, are you insulting me?  If you can't even get a dayjob at Starbucks, it's probably out of this attitude, and maybe a poorly written resume?  Re-write it and apply again.  They want to know that you can contribute to their team.

Look at other accomplished stylists who have already given you advice and long-time pro telling you the same thing (Marko, Alex, Eric, Ashley...) and obvserve their attitude.

I send my pathetic resume out every day and don't even get a call back most of the time. I'm uncomfortable being agressive because I don't want to force myself where I am unwanted. I would love to get a job but noone WANTS TO HIRE ME. There isn't a heck of a lot I can do about that and It's really hard to think that you're worth anything when the only regular work you get is very hard and completely unpaid to boot.

Like I said above, just because you want a job doesn't mean people have to give it to you.  You have to OFFER VALUE to those people that they can see.  You called your resume "pathetic".  Well, make it not-so-pathetic, put some effort in there.

It is all about how you present your value proposition to them.  I used to hire a lot of high-priced engineers, and we boot people mostly because of attitude, not because of what they know (or don't know), people can learn, but attitude doesn't change.  In your case, it reallly isn't helping.

Feb 07 06 12:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

I am sorry, but I do not buy it. I know you are having a "hard time" but the struggle is part of the journey which is life. If you are saying "NOBODY" wants to hire you, maybe you are looking in the wrong place. Just so everyone knows. I dropped out of highschool when I was 14 and started my "career" working in a Beauty supply store pulling pallets around and stocking shelves all day, making 5.15 an hour. Sometimes you have to start from the bottom to climb your way to the top. I wish you the best of luck, and I know it is hard when you are struggling but downing yourself and being negative is NOT going to fix anything. I have a very successful friend in the biz who tested for 4 years while working full time at walmart and raising 3 kids before she started getting paid work. Being successful is not something that happens by chance overnight.
Stop focusing on what you are doing ...and focus on what you are not doing...maybe then you will realize things are not as bad as they seem.

Feb 07 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
I love testing.

So do I actually. I have no patience at all for people who don't love their work first and foremost. Money and tears and acclaim and all that aside.

Feb 07 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
I love testing.

So do I actually. I have no patience at all for people who don't love their work first and foremost. Money and tears and acclaim and all that aside.

Feb 07 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Just say no.

Feb 07 06 01:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Charissa the Artist wrote:
I am sorry, but I do not buy it. I know you are having a "hard time" but the struggle is part of the journey which is life. If you are saying "NOBODY" wants to hire you, maybe you are looking in the wrong place. Just so everyone knows. I dropped out of highschool when I was 14 and started my "career" working in a Beauty supply store pulling pallets around and stocking shelves all day, making 5.15 an hour. Sometimes you have to start from the bottom to climb your way to the top. I wish you the best of luck, and I know it is hard when you are struggling but downing yourself and being negative is NOT going to fix anything. I have a very successful friend in the biz who tested for 4 years while working full time at walmart and raising 3 kids before she started getting paid work. Being successful is not something that happens by chance overnight.
Stop focusing on what you are doing ...and focus on what you are not doing...maybe then you will realize things are not as bad as they seem.

5.15 an hour, now if that isn't a sign of someone who wants it bad, I dont know what is.

I'm 22,in school fulltime and I work in an office fulltime. I FIND time to accomplish all of my dreams. Like many other artist on here I'M HUNGRY. If you stay hungry you will always succeed. Testing is a way of getting better. Growth is apart of the game. If you stay the same way all the time, no one will ever want to work with you. We can all make excuses about why we are or aren't doing something, but at the end of the day its people who WALK the WALK and not just talk who succeed.

Feb 07 06 01:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

lll wrote:

Miss Anthropy wrote:
I know where the Hawthorne District is, seeing as I can throw a rock and hit it from my apartment. I am WORN OUT and want to stop laboring for free, but realise that I won't be able to. As for liking working with me, EVERYONE I've worked with likes working with me. They all say so and I would see no reason for lying about it. I can produce references.

Why am I not surprised to see this response?  Oh well.  No wonder why no one who would pay money would work with you.

...Consider getting a day job. That's funny. I spend most of my time TRYING to get a damn day job, or a night job or an anything job for that matter. Please don't condescend to me because I'm having a really hard time just keeping my head above water...

Condescending?  I gave you a solid advice to get you money and suggestion to a well-paid job with good benefits (Starbucks pays above market rate and offer full benefits).  How is telling you to get a dayjob condescending?  WTF.  I have a dayjob, are you insulting me?  If you can't even get a dayjob at Starbucks, it's probably out of this attitude, and maybe a poorly written resume?  Re-write it and apply again.  They want to know that you can contribute to their team.

Look at other accomplished stylists who have already given you advice and long-time pro telling you the same thing (Marko, Alex, Eric, Ashley...) and obvserve their attitude.

Like I said above, just because you want a job doesn't mean people have to give it to you.  You have to OFFER VALUE to those people that they can see.  You called your resume "pathetic".  Well, make it not-so-pathetic, put some effort in there.

It is all about how you present your value proposition to them.  I used to hire a lot of high-priced engineers, and we boot people mostly because of attitude, not because of what they know (or don't know), people can learn, but attitude doesn't change.  In your case, it reallly isn't helping.

i second the photographers opinion on this.

i don't think it is condescending to get a day job, if anything i like having a place that i can go where the biggest issue i have to worry about is asking if the customer would like a gift reciept. it feels a bit like a vacation compared to the entertainment industry. my old roomate and friend works for a big entertainment company now and she did a FULL TIME unpaid summer internship with the company the summer beforehand... yeah thats working a full time job for FREE for 3 months- she got a PT job at starbucks during that time.

the bottom line is that if you want to suceed you will make it work. there are no free handouts in this industry. whether it means investing yourself physically or emotionally: you might have to take the initiative and introduce yourself to people.

i send out emails and make phonecalls all the time and yeah it sucks to feel "rejected" but if you keep asking somebody is bound to say yes.

one thing that i know keep me afloat in this industry is the understanding that "jaded" does not work for us artist types. for every job that you get there are at least 5 other people that would gladly work it. it is a very competitive industry YOU are the product that you are selling, YOU are your own business- and if you can't sell yourself- nobody will buy anything.

People skills are a must. I recommend the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. It is a bit long, but a good read with lots of good advice.

Feb 07 06 01:52 pm Link