Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > what to do with curly hair on a photo shoot?

Photographer

LaMishia Allen

Winchester, Virginia, US

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some guidance for a Male model I'll be working with soon.  Normally I'd ask a hair stylist on set but as I haven't found any to work with yet in the VA Beach area, I'm asking it here.

This gentleman has naturally curly hair and his complaint is:

"Windy days really make [his] hair look horrible, as does having to take on and off shirts. [He] can always rewet it but in 40 mins its dry again and curls right back up."

We'd both like to know how do you tame curly hair on a man?  Is there a product or a technique that might help in this without making it too stiff or looking too feminine?   I appreciate any help you can give.  Thanks

Feb 03 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

Santa Cruz, California, US

john frieda frizz ease serum. i have wild and crazy multi textured hair and it works great for me. also, a little splash of water and a few rakes of your fingers works just fine.

Feb 03 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

LaMishia Allen

Winchester, Virginia, US

NitaCashmere wrote:
john frieda frizz ease serum. i have wild and crazy multi textured hair and it works great for me. also, a little splash of water and a few rakes of your fingers works just fine.

Thanks Nita, I know this is gonna sound lame but I'm asking anyway.  Could you explain to me exactly what that product does to curly hair when you use it?

Feb 03 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Chu

She's right, John Frieda's frizz ease serum rocks!!!  My hair has a mind of it's own so whenever I want to control it without whipping out the flat iron-I use the serum and the moouse (did I spell that correctly?)-lol.

Feb 03 06 03:06 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

LaMishia Allen wrote:
Thanks Nita, I know this is gonna sound lame but I'm asking anyway.  Could you explain to me exactly what that product does to curly hair when you use it?

It helps keep the curls looking curly, and not kinky. Its important to apply it to wet hair. It also gives it a shine, so as it dries it won't appear rough. Also IC tea tree oil moisturizer works, because it helps weight it down a bit.

Feb 03 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

LaMishia Allen

Winchester, Virginia, US

Chu wrote:
She's right, John Frieda's frizz ease serum rocks!!!  My hair has a mind of it's own so whenever I want to control it without whipping out the flat iron-I use the serum and the moouse (did I spell that correctly?)-lol.

:-)  Chu, I think it's one 'O', but i appreciate the input.   Now what do you do if you want the curly hair straight without whipping out the flat iron???  Any suggestions on that?

Feb 03 06 03:25 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

blowdryer...and that can be scary without serum

Feb 03 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

LaMishia Allen

Winchester, Virginia, US

NitaCashmere wrote:
blowdryer...and that can be scary without serum

Ohhhhh boy.  Sounds like we're gonna have fun on this shoot!!

Feb 03 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

LaMishia Allen

Winchester, Virginia, US

'Bout how much of this stuff do we use?   A dime sized dollop?  Quarter sized?  Full Palm?

Feb 03 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

me, i have really coarse hair...you have to wing it. they say dime sized, but i'm sorry, sometimes i use alot. like half a palmfull.

Feb 04 06 01:05 am Link

Filmmaker

Brandon Cordon

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

bowdryer is a bad idea. I do need wieght to it. i excited to finally figure out what to use. awesome

Feb 14 06 12:07 am Link