Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > eewwww hair pins in the mouth

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

ok I might be a bit of a germ freek but i was taught to be extreamly clean when working with a client. Never use anything that has hit the floor before cleaning it. And Never put a bobbie pin in your mouth before putting it into some ones hair. And put hansanitizer on before touching  someones face.
Some are obiously not aware that using dirty brushes not having clean hands and pins in the mouth is a discusting habbit and latly I have seen it a couple of times. I recently worked on a Bridal Fashion show with 3 other make-up and Hair people. One of the Girls who will remain nameless didnt use hand sanitazer before starting, her brushes were NOT cleaned before and after each girl, and while doing an up doo she put countless bobbie pins anto her mouth and used her mouth to open bobbie pins I was well discusted with her unprofessionalizims. I mentioned it to her in provate because I didnt want to embaress her. She freeked out at me and told me that I was jelouse of her and that I was just another germaphobe. so this makes me think that someone eles had mentioned these bad habbits of hers to her before.
I have also seen these bad habbits on TV .
Am I the only one who feels like pins in the mouth ,dirty hands and dirty brushes are a bad thing ? I really hope not .

Feb 02 06 11:23 pm Link

Model

Sysamsbe

Los Angeles, California, US

Well since I am a model I acutally love when a make up artists cleans her brush before using it on me. My face is like my job and I dont need to be breaking out in pimples. I wouldnt consider you being a germaphob. You are someone that cares about your work and the way you do your work. For example me as a model never get on my cell phone at a casting even though there are tons of other girls waiting in line on the cell phone. I just think its about being professional. And you are obvioulsy a professional and thats why you make sure things are clean and in order like they should be.

Feb 02 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Last time I checked, I am not licking the hairpins...so as long as I wash MY hands when I take the doo out, I don't see it being a serious issue.
Of course if you have a cold or a coldsore or something else that's nasty, keep ya nasty to yourself...but then again I am a college student, the most disgusting breed of human on earth, so what do I know?

edit:
clean brushes are a good thing, but my world won't come to a halt if they are not immaculate.

Feb 02 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

Sysamsbe

Nemi wrote:
edit:
clean brushes are a good thing, but my world won't come to a halt if they are not immaculate.

I agree. But I feel better when the brushes are clean.

Feb 02 06 11:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

How do you know the brushes that she was using were dirty?  How do you know that she hadn't washed her hands before starting on the model?  Were you watching this person the whole time?  I have hundreds of brushes so I can do 10 faces before I need to wash them again.  I'm not going to wash them right after I use them. Nor right before I use them on someone. There's not time for that on real jobs.

I am very sanitary and actually wash my hands between each face in most situations. And I agree with you that everyone should follow these basic rules.  But I would never call someone out on it, unless they were working for me.  If you were not this persons superior then I think you were a little out of place.

Feb 02 06 11:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

well i was the Key and the make-up designer on this show and i wanted my team to be professional quick and CLEAN.
I know that her brushes were dirty because they have pigment in them and she dropped one on the floor picked it up and contiued to use it.
I have many brushes as well but after i use it on one face i dissinfect it with 99% alchole or brush cleaner, this take like 30 seconds per brush ,i never use the same brush on differnt faces with out being cleaned in between ,the spead of "skin" problems is a risk i am not willing to take. you never know if some one has pink eye or inpotego  or any other skin infection. I usually have 5 of each brush so if i am doing a fashion show or a shoot with more than one model i put the used brushes into individual zippy bags this way i have a bag for each girl and so if i need to do touch ups or make-up changes I do not have contaminated brushes.
And pins in your mouth is grose , its still in your hair yah i know you peobably wash your hair but this is just a sloppy and discusting habbit. if this person puts bobbie pins in thier mouth what else are they not doing properly or cleanly.

Feb 03 06 01:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nadine Make-up Artist

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I agree. I always have 99% alcohol with me and clean the brushes right after I used them. Also I think that it's better to use hand sanatizer in front of the model, actor, etc. because they don't know if you washed your hands or not and feel way more comfortable with seeing that you use this.
I've also worked on film set and when we were on location in the woods where you can't wash your hands, hand sanatizer is a must!!

Feb 03 06 06:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It just a matter of habit.....As far as brushes go, every MUA should clean their brushes on a regular ( especially as much as they cost, as for me, mine are not cheap so take care of them like a baby) and after every person at least spray them and wipe them off with wet wipe. Sometimes things get hetic,especially if you are working something like fashion week, but even for things like that a MUA should have enough brushes and equiptment to sufice for each model, etc... as far as hair pins in the mouth, again being a hairdresser I think it just comes as a habit, I admit it is not always a good one, but I am sure people have had worse things touching their mouths...LOL yikes}

Feb 03 06 07:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Well since you were her supervisor, then you were within your rights by telling her.   The way I'd read your post was that you were among four make-up artists, not the head m/u.

You all don't want to be using 99% alcohol on your brushes.  It's pretty harsh on them.  I clean my brushes with Cinema Secrets on mine after the job/day and then shampoo and condition them about once a week.  Naimie's and Ben Nye also have good cleaner, but I've found CS to be the best for getting the job done yet not ruining the brushes.  Parian Spirit also makes brush cleaner wipes.  But be sure to let the brush dry before using it again especially with the PS.

Feb 03 06 07:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Sysamsbe wrote:
Well since I am a model I acutally love when a make up artists cleans her brush before using it on me. My face is like my job and I dont need to be breaking out in pimples. I wouldnt consider you being a germaphob. You are someone that cares about your work and the way you do your work. For example me as a model never get on my cell phone at a casting even though there are tons of other girls waiting in line on the cell phone. I just think its about being professional. And you are obvioulsy a professional and thats why you make sure things are clean and in order like they should be.

so what are you saying about the men tongue

hahaha i'm just busting chops tongue

Feb 03 06 09:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I may just be a newbie, but I always wash my hand before each model and I clean my brushes before each model I work with smile

Feb 03 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
I am very sanitary and actually wash my hands between each face in most situations. And I agree with you that everyone should follow these basic rules.  But I would never call someone out on it, unless they were working for me.  If you were not this persons superior then I think you were a little out of place.

Hmm..well my father was a beautician, and a barber, I'm a registered nurse. yes, you should call someone on it in private,  not just from the germ point of view but you could be transferring critters < lice> from one head to another.
If your a licenced makeup artist. I know your exam had a section on sanitary practices..if you opted not to do those questions you would have failed the exam.
The well being of the person your working on is job one, not the makeup application.

Paul

Feb 03 06 09:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ewwwww...I would hope that a sane adult would get rid of their lice before a show or shoot.... And if doing hair, the MUA or Hairstylist should be able to notice if something like that is going on with someone's head.....Also, as someone stated earlier cleaning your brushes with 99% alcohol is harsh and will break your brush hairs down causing them to shed.....

Merlinpix wrote:
Hmm..well my father was a beautician, and a barber, I'm a registered nurse. yes, you should call someone on it in private,  not just from the germ point of view but you could be transferring critters < lice> from one head to another.
If your a licenced makeup artist. I know your exam had a section on sanitary practices..if you opted not to do those questions you would have failed the exam.
The well being of the person your working on is job one, not the makeup application.

Paul

Feb 03 06 09:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
You all don't want to be using 99% alcohol on your brushes.  It's pretty harsh on them.  I clean my brushes with Cinema Secrets on mine after the job/day and then shampoo and condition them about once a week.  Naimie's and Ben Nye also have good cleaner, but I've found CS to be the best for getting the job done yet not ruining the brushes.  Parian Spirit also makes brush cleaner wipes.  But be sure to let the brush dry before using it again especially with the PS.

If you read the ingediants list you will see that acohol is one of the main ingrediants  and theres nothing wrong with using the 99% often it dries really fast and I was tought to do this from a pro who has had some of his brushes for over 30 years and thats how he has cleaned them between clients. I also shampoo and condition my brushes at least once a week.

Feb 03 06 01:28 pm Link

Model

Chu

I believe everything should be sanitized.  Maybe it's the years of studying medicine coming out as med students tend to become hypochondriacs from learning all the stuff I'd probably rather not know. 

As for the dirty brush-that's just disgusting.

Feb 03 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

I dont blame you for thinking that because its just common sense.  You wouldnt want someone putting something in their mouth and putting it on you etc., so you should treat others with that same respect (its only fair).

Feb 03 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Carrie Anne

Lets just say I had my makeup done by a MUA who's hands smelled like, well, how do I put this... her girly-region?  It was absolutely disgusting.  I was holding my breath at first but I couldn't handle it once my gag reflex kicked in and I had to ask her to wash her hands.  I will never work with this MUA for that reason, so even if you think your hands are clean, models appreciate seeing you apply sanitizer.

Feb 03 06 04:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Carrie Anne wrote:
Lets just say I had my makeup done by a MUA who's hands smelled like, well, how do I put this... her girly-region?  It was absolutely disgusting.  I was holding my breath at first but I couldn't handle it once my gag reflex kicked in and I had to ask her to wash her hands.  I will never work with this MUA for that reason, so even if you think your hands are clean, models appreciate seeing you apply sanitizer.

ohh my god thats horrible. I can't belive someone whould do that ewww and i thought pins in the mouth were bad. I would have cancels the shoot, if her hads smelled what was she putting on your face with her brushes . yuck excuse me while i go throw up

Feb 03 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chex

Carrie anne:   EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Feb 03 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Carrie Anne wrote:

Um. Wow. I have no words.

Feb 03 06 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Carrie Anne wrote:

Nasty.  Nasty.  Nasty.

My favortie hand sanitizer, that talent always comment on the wonderful smell of, is the Raspberry scented stuff from Bath and Body Works.  It's awesome and doesn't dry out your hands like the Purell crap.

Speaking of germs though, I usually find models to be the more unsanitary.  They're always trying to poke their fingers in my products.  wink

Feb 03 06 10:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stephanie Rose Artistry

Riverside, California, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Nasty.  Nasty.  Nasty.

My favortie hand sanitizer, that talent always comment on the wonderful smell of, is the Raspberry scented stuff from Bath and Body Works.  It's awesome and doesn't dry out your hands like the Purell crap.

Speaking of germs though, I usually find models to be the more unsanitary.  They're always trying to poke their fingers in my products.  wink

That's so true! some of my models become so overjoyed when they see my make-up collection they want to see with there hands and not with there EYES .lol.

Feb 03 06 11:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i think that there are a lot of misconceptions about sanitization with make-up artists. I was taught to be super sanitary.but i see artists all the time working straight out of the containters and double dipping mascara wands (my personal pet peave).

i use cinema secrets brush cleaner (i have used other cleaners...naimies, parian spirit, paula dorf, mac, etc...) but none of them seem to work as good... or smell as good as the cinema secrets.

Feb 04 06 12:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

First of all the word is DISGUSTING not "discusting"

Secondly I agree with you an MUA must always maintain a clean kit, hands, brushes and product.

I always bring a dozen fresh white towels.
I always have hand sanitizer.
I always remove a dropped brush from play.
I have enough brushes that sanitizing between models is rarely a concern but I do have a brush sanitizer for fashion shows etc.
I always have fresh breath (and altoids to offer models who don't).
I always have clean manicured hands.
I also happen to think that you are a bit of a germ freak but then that isn't a bad thing!

Feb 04 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

Bobbie pins in the mouth doesn't seem to bother me. I think it's because my hair stylist is my cousin... family germs don't scare me!!!! It's also something I never really seem to think twice about and I'm not sure why... Brushs though... completely different story... Mascrea wands scare me!!! I have VERY sensitive eyes and get eye infects VERY easy!!!!

Feb 04 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Carrie Anne wrote:

WOW...

Feb 04 06 03:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

rachelrose wrote:
i think that there are a lot of misconceptions about sanitization with make-up artists. I was taught to be super sanitary.but i see artists all the time working straight out of the containters and double dipping mascara wands (my personal pet peave).

I never double dip because I use a tube mascara i find it works well and makes people feel better because then the client knows its clean smile Iy just blows me away when people dont think that being sanitary is part of thier job.

Feb 04 06 05:20 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

If my automotive pin stripe squirrel hair brushes can last after cleaning with acetone and paint reducer... alcohol is tame by comparison!!

... the bodypaint I use most often is Temptu's Dura line - which alcohol based. So, I'm constantly using alcohol to clean out my airbrush and paint brushes AND hands for color changes during a photoshoot.

I use the Temptu SB line for faces, but again use alcohol for switching between products.

Now, I don't "sell" myself as a MUA and do traditional photoshoot makeup... I try VERY hard to know what I don't know...

Feb 06 06 11:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Battledress PaintNBody wrote:
If my automotive pin stripe squirrel hair brushes can last after cleaning with acetone and paint reducer... alcohol is tame by comparison!!

Ah, but how do they feel on the face?  I want my brushes to be soft and not stiff and scratchy.

Feb 07 06 04:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I am more concerned with health hazards for the talent because they are stuck in our chair and havent much of a say in what we do......

My pet peeve is artists that dont use disposable mascara wands...this is spreading germs that are dangerous to the models....much more of a hazard then sticking pins in your mouth (dirty for the artist not a hazard for the talent)  A mascara wand that touches someones lash should NEVER NEVER again go into that dark moist bacteria haven mascara depenser!!!!

Blowing on brushes is another one.   You blow on a brush and then whipe it on the models face?  YUCK

How about using a lipstick on multiple people?  Thats disgusting....And we wonder why models get nervouse around us

Feb 08 06 09:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Merlinpix wrote:

Paul

there is no such thing as a licensed makeup artist.  There are licensed cosmatologists (9 months of school to learn hair mostly)  Very few makeup artists are licensed cosmatologists.

Feb 08 06 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Well since you were her supervisor, then you were within your rights by telling her.   The way I'd read your post was that you were among four make-up artists, not the head m/u.

This is also how I clean my brushes.  I carry Parian Spirit spray to spritz if needed but I rarely need to because I have enough brushes for about 10 people before any need cleaning.   I use very expensive badger brushes and 99% alcohol would ruin them.

Feb 08 06 10:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Mary wrote:
Blowing on brushes is another one.   You blow on a brush and then whipe it on the models face?  YUCK

Same reason I don't eat birthday cake smile

Feb 08 06 01:37 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Ah, but how do they feel on the face?  I want my brushes to be soft and not stiff and scratchy.

Just talking about alcohol and how it fits in my routine...

When I use brushes on a model, they are for detail in a paint and are usually deliberatly stiff because I'm trying to get a texture to accomplish an illusion. I'm not doing - or using tools - that a classic MUA would.

Feb 08 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

Chu

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

Same reason I don't eat birthday cake smile

Haha, that is too funny.  I'm the guilty party-I like to eat birthday cake, usually the only birthday parties I go to that have cake are family-lucky me.

As for the blowing the brushes, whatever happened to the old tap method-I haven't seen any blow brushes, but my comment would probably be-What are you trying to do get makeup all over my outfit and hair-rather than germs.

As for the makeup artist with the hands that smelled like girl-stuff, that's just flat out nasty.

Feb 09 06 01:49 am Link