Photographer

kf4vkp

Jasper, Georgia, US

If you were a photog, and weren't able to have a stylist at a particular shoot, but wanted a certain makeup look and were going to bring a basic kit to the shoot so that you ensure you have colors and things you want.

What brands of makeup would you go with, what would be the basic supplies to put in such a kit that would make the products themselves reusable should you want a similar look in the future?

Thanks!

Jan 31 06 05:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well it really depends on how much you want to spend , my kit contains everything and is well over $6000 in products and I use every thing from high end products to 1.99 items. I would sudgest having a variety of products, some people are name brand people and they have a kit all full of "NARS" or "MAC"  just one brand but i personally like things from all over and differnt brands. I like RCMA or Cinima Secrests for photography foundations, I like MAC and make-up forever and Anne Sui , Laura Maurcier , Red Earth , Ben Nye, for blushes and eye shadows. and I have a pletherha of lip sticks. If you want a awsome Red Red I found a "retro Red" from NYC colurs and its only $2.99 its the best red red that i have found .
I think that you need some basics a couple of tones of foundations, eye shadows in basics and neautrals and colour specific for each shoot. like 3 shades of blush and 4 tones of tip sticks.
hope that helps smile and good luck smile

Jan 31 06 09:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I agree! Mix and match. I'm always out at the local drug stores and Ulta digging through the bargains.

I'd say for photo. foundation my favorite is Estee Lauder. Which is what you see in all of my portfolio photos....

I love my MAC shadows, but I don't limit. My favorite white shadow is made by sugar, my favorite black shadow is made by Studio Gear...

My favorite lip glosses... haha... Wet N Wild clear.  seriously best 75 cents ever spent!

Bronzer... Wet N Wild again...

Urban decay makes this great stuff for lashes called lingere and galoshes.

However, my favorite mascara is Maybelline great last...

eye liner... cover girl.

Just depends. Just check bargain bins!!!! Ulta cosmetics is one of the best places to find stuff too since their bargain bins also contain makeup from counter lines.

Jan 31 06 10:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

You can totally stock a photographer's emergency makeup kit for cheap.
Except for foundation, you can totally do it up cheap.  (Just in case of emergency)

There is a drugstore brand called Milani.  Check them out.
Luminous blush is gorgeous. 
Bronzer- the medium shade
Eye shadow-Black, brown, pink, taupe and beige
Eyeliner- Black and Brown
Lipliner-Wet and Wild #666
Get a lip palette from one of the lines.  Hell, even Wet and Wild has one. 
Max Factor Lash Perfection mascara-just black will suffice.
A clear gloss and some transluscent powder.

This is totally bare bones, but you can always build from there.

Feb 01 06 07:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Right now I use Cover Girl foundation, but I also have Revlon Colorstay and even Ben Nye creme if I need something heavier. At some point I'm hoping to try Mac, but not until I finish grad school and have some income again (ah those were the days).

Ben Nye has a great series of shadows and powders, and I have some Makeup Forever shadows as well.

Cinema Secrets has a really nice series of lipstick pallates. I also have some glossy ones from NYC.

Feb 01 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

kf4vkp

Jasper, Georgia, US

This helped me very much! gave me lots of tips.

I do have one more question though, what about hygenie in applicators? I was under the impression you shouldn't ever re use eye make up applicators, and to be hesitant about other applicatiors.

What do you do in that instance?

Feb 12 06 08:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

kf4vkp wrote:
This helped me very much! gave me lots of tips.

I do have one more question though, what about hygenie in applicators? I was under the impression you shouldn't ever re use eye make up applicators, and to be hesitant about other applicatiors.

What do you do in that instance?

well you should invest in a couple of brushes, a powder brush, blush brush , conture brush, three sizes of a round flat ( Half Moon) eye shadow brush, Liner brush, Lip brush. You can clean and disinfect the brushes with either 99% isopropanol alcohol, or a brush cleaner I like the one from cinima secrets.

You Must clean brushes between each face.

Disposable mascara wands ,NEVER double dip into a mascara tube.

Disposable sponges, never use the same sponge on differnt faces.

Ohh a transulcent face powder is also a great thing to invest in, this can be applied to stop the face from getting shinny.

Feb 12 06 09:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

just buy look pallettes when they come out.

i have an eclectic mix of brands in my kit, but if you are looking to one-stop shop I would check out nars:

http://www.narscosmetics.com/acb/stores … ory_4.aspx

Feb 12 06 09:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

disposables..

http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com/products.php?cat=9

just make sure the models don't double dip themselves!

Feb 12 06 09:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

for foundations, you dont have to buy a whole bunch.  what i do is buy the lightest and darkest shade and mix them to match the model's skin tone.  it's good to have colors for both red and yellow undertones so 4 all together should do it.  for mascaras, drugstore ones work just as well as expensive ones.  i like loreal's voluminous.  Black powder eyeshadow's are great ( i like MAC's Carbon).  it can be used for smoky looks and eyeliner.  bronzers are diverse as well..it can be used as blush, eyeshadow, and all over the body.  hope that helps!

Feb 12 06 11:02 pm Link