Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Portfolio, Prints and Where to Get Them???

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

I read a book that said as a stylist I should have a printed portfolio book with 9x12 images and of course tearsheets.  That is what local agencies, LA & NY agencies look for.  I have so many images on disk, a few tearsheets and now it's time to organize them and put them in a book.  Can anyone recommend a good place to order 9x12 prints?  With such an unusual size, it's hard to find a reasonable printer with good quality.

I would also like to know what sites offer a good portfolio for 9x12 images.  I don't want a custom built portfolio.  I just want a very good quality portfolio that will last for a few years.  I've look at a few site but I like referrals from other people.  I want to also order some good backup portfolio books to leave with agencies.

Jan 30 06 05:08 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

I purchased my first leather bound portfolio book at Sam Flax (www.samflax.com) and it is 8.5x11. The House of Portfolios in NY has come highly reccomended to me by several photographers, but I honestly am not ready to spend such a large amount on a portfolio. I've seen them range in prices from 50.00 for a basic leather to 400.00 for a leather material. So depending on your budget you should find something you like.

As for prints, ask some of the photographers that you have worked with if they do any printing. Prints for 9x12 may be 12.00-15.00 per sheet. I would also ask your local photogs where they get their prints done if they don't do them themselves. I'm sure you would find a local place much better than some place online.

Jan 30 06 05:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

http://www.houseofportfolios.com/

http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com

www.models-mart.com (these are cheap but ok)

http://www.adbportfolio.com/books.html

I'm curious about where to have 9x12's printed in Dallas.

Mary

Jan 30 06 11:03 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Agencies want your portfolio to be either 9x12 or 11x14 for Make up Artists, Photographer's and Stylists, 8x10 are for models. I wasn't sure at first, but I have a book that lists every agency in the world, and the ones in the US, all state that is the size they want to see. I assume that they want to see the big picture. LOL I also have a 4x6 book that I take with me to fashion shows, etc. You never know who you might meet. It actually paid off for me once. ;-) It fits into my purse, and it serves as a mini portfolio. Prints are expensive, so I don't want to risk taking my book all over the place. Besides, who wants to carry that all around.

I went to Sam Flax for my first portfolio, and I think I spent about $100. I wasn't trying to spend a bunch of cash, so I opted for a less expensive one. I'm getting ready to get another one, and for that one I'll splurge a little.

I use www.mpix.com for some of my prints. I use another place locally when I need them immediately.For the smaller book, I use Sams. ;-) Hopefully that helps. Again.. it's just my .02, so do what you feel is best for you and your business!

Just another suggestion... try to get a copy of Crystal Wright's Book, in the 4th edition. LOTSSSSS of information that might assist you. you can search for it on Ebay. I got mine about 1.5 years ago, and it helps a bunch!! If you want to know the name and other info, message me.. I'll get it to you. Smile!!! Good day!

Jan 31 06 11:41 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

maryirwin wrote:
I'm curious about where to have 9x12's printed in Dallas.

Mary

Me too!  Everyone in the Dallas area that will do 9x12 has to print them larger and crop them down so you pay twice as much.  When you find out Mary, call me.  Then we can do another shoot together.

Jan 31 06 09:08 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

CamelaC wrote:
Just another suggestion... try to get a copy of Crystal Wright's Book, in the 4th edition. LOTSSSSS of information that might assist you. you can search for it on Ebay. I got mine about 1.5 years ago, and it helps a bunch!! If you want to know the name and other info, message me.. I'll get it to you. Smile!!! Good day!

Yes, I have the book but I just like to see what the real working people are doing around the US.  A matter of fact I have a second un-open copy that I am selling on Ebay right now.  LOL.  It is a great book.

Jan 31 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I get my 8" x 12" prints at Costco for $1.99 ea

Common Canon size I think, so thats what I have printed

Jan 31 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

Naomi Vida

Brooklyn, New York, US

Could you buy a portfolio at lets say a camera store?

Jan 31 06 11:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Naomi Nekro wrote:
Could you buy a portfolio at lets say a camera store?

Not neccessarily, it depends on the camera store. I know of lots of photography stores that don't carry leather bound portfolios. An art supply store is actually a good location.

Feb 01 06 10:29 am Link