Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Manufacturer's Samples & Designer Apperal

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

Its time for me to raise the bar on my portfolio and start using high end fashion apperal in some of my shoots.  What... How... is the best way to acquire these fashions?  Is it the sylists who have these connections or do I have to make some of my own?  My portfolio needs fashion help before I can start presenting it to agencies.
Thanks,
JeffM

Jan 27 06 10:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I think you could do either.  I have worked with photographers who had great connections.  It might be easier to see if you could find a stylist.  Not only may they have the connections, but they know how the clothes should be worn.  They will know what accessories and shoes to use.  They will make sure the clothes are steamed, threads are cut off, lint is rolled off.
And hopefully they won't show up with everything that was in the window at the local Forever 21.  I am not knocking the 21, but everything in moderation.
Including cheap clothing.

Jan 27 06 03:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

JeffM wrote:
Its time for me to raise the bar on my portfolio and start using high end fashion apperal in some of my shoots.  What... How... is the best way to acquire these fashions?  Is it the sylists who have these connections or do I have to make some of my own?  My portfolio needs fashion help before I can start presenting it to agencies.
Thanks,
JeffM

Well for one you could let me style a few shoots. tongue
Portland's fashion scene is growing in leaps and bounds in terms of creativity and respectablity and there is a lot of unique and Possibly high-end, or high-end looking stuff available. The Upshot of using young or unknown designers is that they are just as eager as you and I to get their careers rolling and as such would be a lot more open to loaning things for shoots to get their own name out there. If you can give them a few REALLY nice images that they can use for thier own purposes they may kick down.  Very shortly, I will be getting in contact with Todd Foulk from Semper Fashion and see where that goes.  I know a few of the local designers and still have some contact with some kids I went to AI with and perhaps I can see if that yeilds anything.

That is if you still WANT my help...
If nothing else you can be rest assured that I won't be showing up with a boatload of mall crap

wink

Jan 28 06 07:11 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

JeffM wrote:
Thanks,
JeffM

You should use a Stylist. It would probably be much easier for you. I do know a few photographers with some killer connections, but they are usually the ones that shoot fashion shows and shoot the couture clothings for the desisgners/boutiques sites.

I would see if I could find a stylist that can pull designer clothing, because yes agencies shop just like the rest of us. They are trained to know the difference between Target, Express and Yves Saint Laurent. I was recently denied by one, because I had a picture from one of my earlier shoots (mix of mall and target) in with the couture. They were like.. honey.. take these out and come back. I was like... damn, this picture was from a year or more ago!!!! It was only one picture.. but it makes a difference, and I didn't know any better. So.. uh.. yeah! Get a stylist, it will free up a lot of time. It's our job.

Jan 28 06 10:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Relax...

You do your job, which is photography and let the fashion stylist do theirs.  Next thing you know you want to be the makeup artist and the model within your own shoot.

LOL!!!

Get a fashion stylist and enjoy working with other artist such as yourself.

Jan 29 06 10:25 pm Link